Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fraud

Enda
Level 1: Joiner
  • 1 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Some lowlife has taken an iPhone 13 contract out in my name. I have reported it to o2 and it's now being investigated by the fraud department. I'm currently being charged for this, and I like to know how long it usually takes for these things to be resolved, and if I'll receive a refund. 

Message 1 of 3
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@Enda 

You just need to let the fraud team complete their investigation.

You will be refunded when they have concluded.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3
2 REPLIES 2

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@Enda 

You just need to let the fraud team complete their investigation.

You will be refunded when they have concluded.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 3

MervIgnored
Level 1: Joiner
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I was the victim of Fraud last year, when someone opened two accounts in my name . The first I knew of this was a long stream of default notices and (eventually) threatening letters from O2 because there had been no payments. It took five months of hassle before the accounts were finally closed and my Credit Score corrected. The main problem was a lack of automatic response from O2. How difficult it is to set up a "we're very busy, but we'll look into this" response on their email servers?
Now (April-May 2022) we have started receiving default notices on ANOTHER account, this time opened in my wife's name. Still no response from O2 ....
At least with all of this we've not lost any money, but someone in this position might be frightened into paying O2 as a result of all these demanding letters. Also, when I telephoned the Payment Team about this latest fraud, I was told "there has been an unprecedented number of fraudulent accounts opened in the last 6 months, so the Fraud team is inundated". All the more reason to set up automated response emails to hundred of victims!
Also, it beggars belief how easy it is to order a new iPhone or iPad from O2 without thorough checks on the applicant ... I think O2 is far too keen to get money quickly from people, and not safeguard the victims (My phone call to the payments team was answered within seconds - there isn't even a phone number to the Fraud Team!)

Message 3 of 3