Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Elderly relative got Huawei Pocket Hotspot - phone no longer works

Newtohere
Level 1: Joiner
  • 7 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hello - I hope someone here can help with this one. An elderly friend of ours who is self-isolating was unable to access the internet (had a laptop dongle for the 3 network which is down in his area). We don't live nearby so at his request ordered him a pay-as-you-go Huawei Pocket Hotspot with O2 which was delivered to him today. He has emailed tonight to say that he activated the hotspot & now has the internet on his laptop but his mobile phone is no longer working. He said when he activated the sim card it asked him to text 'swap' on his mobile phone - which sounds like he has swapped over from the 3 network possibly? Can anyone shed any light on this and suggest how we get it resolved for him?! We would be really grateful for any help as obviously it is very important to him to have both phone and internet access.

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13

KingAmo
Level 15: Gaining a Reputation
  • 287 Posts
  • 6 Topics
  • 30 Solutions
@Newtohere

Hi when you do swapping, every details of the SIM is change to the other SIM. So it is likely that's what happened.

Can you contact the customer service for them to help out?

https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Other-Products-and-Services/Coronavirus-Covid-19-Community-Help-and-Su...
Message 2 of 14

Newtohere
  • 7 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi and thanks for your reply @KingAmo. We will try customer services tomorrow. Do you know if the sim swap is supposed to happen i.e. the Pocket Hotspot isn't suitable for him?

Message 3 of 14

KingAmo
  • 287 Posts
  • 6 Topics
  • 30 Solutions
@Newtohere

The SIM swap wasn't supposed to happen. You're the one who will initiate it. I guess as he mistook it that's why he initiated the process.
And I can't be sure if the pocket hotspot is suitable for him depending on the person. If he is able to use it then it is fine.

But why didn't you choose a SIM only monthly contract for him?
Message 4 of 14

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22938 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

@Newtohere Which network was your friend's phone associated with? If he's able to, he can download Skype and use that to call customer service if he has no phone access.

https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Off-Topic/A-Guide-To-Skype/m-p/1305104/highlight/true#M181823

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 5 of 14

Newtohere
  • 7 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi @KingAmo - could you explain how a sim only monthly contract would work to solve his problem? Sorry, not at all technical and just trying to help him get his internet back up!

Message 6 of 14

Newtohere
  • 7 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi @Bambino, thanks for your suggestion. He was with 3. Our friend is even less technical than us so we have to try and keep things really simple. Downloading Skype and getting it up and running might be beyond him (and us explaining via internet as his phone isn't working now of course). 

More info

Message 7 of 14

Cleoriff
  • 122356 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@Newtohere 

It appears your relative initiated a sim swap which has transferred his number from his phone to his hotspot.

He should have just used the sim which came with the hotspot/dongle.

You do need to contact O2 to get this sorted.

All numbers are in this guide Guide: Coronavirus Community Help and Support 

He can borrow a phone, use a landline or, as suggested, use Skype.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 8 of 14

KingAmo
  • 287 Posts
  • 6 Topics
  • 30 Solutions
@Cleoriff that's exactly what I said.

@Newtohere
Well for SIM only monthly contract you only purchase a data plan and pay for it every month. It is SIM only with no device. You will have chance to choose the data plan et al.

But I think at the moment it is best option you contact Customer service for help concerning this issue
Message 9 of 14

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22938 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

@Newtohere If you ask your friend to look at the link to get Skype he will see that it's very simple to download and install. If you have it as well you can talk to each other via Skype for free and hopefully be able to talk him through what he needs to do. He will have to be the one to call O2 customer service as it's his account that is having the problem. He will probably have to call Three customer service as well to try to sort this mess out.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 10 of 14