cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ESim request to customer services has disconnected me!

Chateau57
Level 1: Joiner
  • 22 Posts
  • 4 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I am about to take a delivery of a new iPhone 14. As I plan to use an eSIM in my new phone, I called Customer Services today to request an eSIM pack to be sent out (containing the QR code. I need to install it on my new phone).

The advisor told me that it would take three working days or maybe slightly more because of the Christmas post.

Shortly after the call ended. I noticed that I was disconnected from the O2 network on my current phone (which also uses an eSIM). I now have no working phone on the O2 network and my new phone, for which I ordered the same does not turn up for another four or five days.

my wife bought a new iPhone recently and went into an O2 shop to pick up an eSIM pack with a QR code. This was left to one side until she had the new phone delivered a couple of days later…..

it appears 30th one, requests and eSIM/Sim swap with Customer Services disconnects your current Sim from the network more or less immediately! It appears had I gone into an O2 shop and requested an eSIM pack then my phone would still be working until such time as I got a new phone and swapped it over using the swap my Sim process. 

Help !!

Message 1 of 34
33 REPLIES 33

O2Emma
  • 1198 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 34 Solutions

Hi @Chateau57 I will send you a private message to look into this for you.

signature
Message 11 of 34

Chateau57
  • 22 Posts
  • 4 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thank you

Message 12 of 34

Anonymous
Not applicable

@O2Emma will take a look

Message 13 of 34

Chateau57
  • 22 Posts
  • 4 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

There seems to be something fundamentally wrong with the system. If I call the Customer Support team and ask them to post me an eSIM pack with a QR code , this should not generate a swap my sim request and then disconnect me from the network  ! If I go into a shop and pick up an eSim pack with a QR code this doesn’t happen !!!

Message 14 of 34

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144830 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27772 Solutions

Totally agree @Chateau57 

We were told months ago that this was a system error that would be corrected, but as yet, it hasn't.

No surprise really as it takes months to fix anything these days. All we can do is keep reporting it and hope.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 15 of 34

Chateau57
  • 22 Posts
  • 4 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Disappointing…… have reported this to O2Simon 

Message 16 of 34

RafaC
Former Staff
  • 1774 Posts
  • 157 Topics
  • 4 Solutions

Thanks for the tag @MI5, I've also flagged it to the team. 

Message 17 of 34

Himesh
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

The fact that this is still an issue is embarrassing. I requested an eSim earlier this week and am now locked out of my number.

@Anonymous @O2Emma how is it that you still allow users to request an eSim when you know that it doesn’t work?? Know that I will be switching network the moment I am finally reconnected. Terrible.

@Chateau57 how did you get this resolved?

Message 18 of 34

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93253 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

It's not just esims though

Any sim request means your number is disconnected

Quite disgraceful really and O2 have had plenty of time to rectify their system

Some idiot programmed the system to do this, plenty of idiots at O2 to be able to rectify this surely?

Message 19 of 34

Chateau57
  • 22 Posts
  • 4 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I feel your pain.

It seems like a request for an eSIM from O2 will automatically (and immediately) disconnect your phone from the network. If this means an eSIM pack with a QR code needs to be sent out the customer is left without a working phone until it arrives.

I requested a new eSIM from customer services a week before Christmas- it never turned up! In the end I I went to the considerable inconvenience of driving to an O2 store (an hour away from where I live) and getting them to sort it out, which took over an hour on the phone to the technical support team.

O2 can send an eSIM electronically by email or the My O2 app, but this cannot be requested directly by a customer it would appear.

I have looked into the eSIM process with Vodafone and EE, and like you I shall be switching providers when my current contract runs out. I suggest other O2 customers wanting to use eSIM do the same.

O2 PLEASE SORT THIS WHOLE SORRY MESS OUT !!!

Message 20 of 34