Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Coverage map not accurate in my area

Iford_resident
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

For my home area BN73EL your coverage map shows that we should have full 4G inside and out. I've lived here for almost 2 years and we have never had good coverage. I've logged issues with O2 multiple times and have been told each time that there is no issue. 

At best, I can get maybe 1-2 bars of network (no data) inside and outside of my house. I have to walk 10 minutes before I get any 4G. Others in my household and in the village can confirm this (multiple devices and networks). 

Please can you check the coverage in this area to resolve the issues or update your map to show what we can expect accurately? 

Regards

Matthew Hall  

Message 1 of 7
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@Iford_resident 

The maps are only a theoretical computer simulation and it is widely regarded that they are not accurate and should be used as a guide only.

It does state this on the status checker pages.

Real world coverage can only be assessed by trialling PAYG sims from different networks before committing to a contract.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@Iford_resident 

The maps are only a theoretical computer simulation and it is widely regarded that they are not accurate and should be used as a guide only.

It does state this on the status checker pages.

Real world coverage can only be assessed by trialling PAYG sims from different networks before committing to a contract.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 7

Iford_resident
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

That's not at all what the webpage says. It is just inaccurate and when this is reported they do nothing to update the accuracy of the page or resolve the issue. 

• "Our Network Coverage Checker will show you the 2G, 3G, 4G and 5G network coverage available in your selected area. The map will show you the locations of the best call and mobile data reception, as well as your nearest O2 Wi-Fi hotspots."

Message 3 of 7

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@Iford_resident 

Data reception and speeds may not be as good indoors or in a car. Signal can also be affected by buildings, trees and even weather conditions. This map is just a guide and does not guarantee signal coverage.

https://www.o2.co.uk/coveragechecker

Currently using:
Message 4 of 7

Iford_resident
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Well, it's impacting the whole village, so isn't just a building or trees. I just don't think they want to show an accurate depiction of their coverage. 

Message 5 of 7

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 9983 Posts
  • 54 Topics
  • 2981 Solutions

@Iford_resident 

None of the networks have very accurate computer simulations of coverage for i'd say 80% of the country... so not unique to o2... 

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 6 of 7

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

Because they are all just computer simulations, which don't account for geography and other natural and man made obstacles.

Currently using:
Message 7 of 7