Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot block unwanted FreeStuff SMS messages

Mark73
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I have started receiving frequent texts from "FreeStuff".  I didn't sign up to it and have not responded to or clicked on any of the links.  But my Samsung Android phone won't let me block the sender.  Internet search suggests that sending a text to cancel doesn't work and is chargeable - a scam.  I have signed up previously to TPS so do not know how this started.  Any ideas of how to stop this?  Thanks, Mark

Message 1 of 6
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Payforit_Sucks
Level 17: Luminescent
  • 210 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 4 Solutions

@Mark73 wrote:

I have started receiving frequent texts from "FreeStuff".  I didn't sign up to it and have not responded to or clicked on any of the links.  But my Samsung Android phone won't let me block the sender.  Internet search suggests that sending a text to cancel doesn't work and is chargeable - a scam.  I have signed up previously to TPS so do not know how this started.  Any ideas of how to stop this?  Thanks, Mark

@Mark73 

Are these "Freestuff" or "Freemsg" texts? Usually these types of texts do result in charges on your account, so it is important that you check carefully and are absolutely certain that you have not been charged.

If the messages have resulted in charges, then you are dealing with premium rate SCAM texts. The regulator for these is PSA, and there is help available on our website.

https://payforitsucks.co.uk/o2-payforit-faq/ 

On the other hand, if you have not been charged, and the texts are unsolicited, then they are SPAM texts. You can report these by forwarding them to 7726. Unless you are eing charged fot the texts, don't send a STOP text. As you rightly say, you would be charged for sending this text, and it would also indicate that your number is active.

Not quite sure how it works on O2. You may be able to block the texts at a network level. Alternatively, many phones have a suitable facility. I know they are a nuisance, but probably the easiest thing is just to ignore them and delete them, Hopefully they'll give up sending them eventually.

What do the texts say? Can you identify who is sending them? What numbers do the texts come from?

Sending unsolicited texts is against the rules, so if you can identify the culprit you can report them to OFCOM and/or ICO.

For more info on SPAM texts, look here: https://www.ofcom.org.uk/phones-telecoms-and-internet/advice-for-consumers/problems/tackling-nuisanc... 

Hope this helps,

Paul

Phone payment scam? Need independent advice? Payforit Faq for O2 Customers

Help put a stop to these scams. Join our Facebook Group

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 6
5 REPLIES 5

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144410 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27678 Solutions

@Mark73 

See all help here Guide: Have you fallen for or been conned into a premium rate scam? What to do next 

Here www.payforitsucks.co.uk

and here Guide: Tips to avoid unexpected charges on your bill 

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 6

Mark73
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks for those - interesting and helpful.  But to be clear, I have not had any unwanted charges as I've not clicked on any of the links.  I just want a way of stopping receiving the texts in the first place.  Any ideas?

Message 3 of 6

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144410 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27678 Solutions

I'd have to call in @Payforit_Sucks 

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 4 of 6

Payforit_Sucks
Level 17: Luminescent
  • 210 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 4 Solutions

@Mark73 wrote:

@Mark73 

Are these "Freestuff" or "Freemsg" texts? Usually these types of texts do result in charges on your account, so it is important that you check carefully and are absolutely certain that you have not been charged.

If the messages have resulted in charges, then you are dealing with premium rate SCAM texts. The regulator for these is PSA, and there is help available on our website.

https://payforitsucks.co.uk/o2-payforit-faq/ 

On the other hand, if you have not been charged, and the texts are unsolicited, then they are SPAM texts. You can report these by forwarding them to 7726. Unless you are eing charged fot the texts, don't send a STOP text. As you rightly say, you would be charged for sending this text, and it would also indicate that your number is active.

Not quite sure how it works on O2. You may be able to block the texts at a network level. Alternatively, many phones have a suitable facility. I know they are a nuisance, but probably the easiest thing is just to ignore them and delete them, Hopefully they'll give up sending them eventually.

What do the texts say? Can you identify who is sending them? What numbers do the texts come from?

Sending unsolicited texts is against the rules, so if you can identify the culprit you can report them to OFCOM and/or ICO.

For more info on SPAM texts, look here: https://www.ofcom.org.uk/phones-telecoms-and-internet/advice-for-consumers/problems/tackling-nuisanc... 

Hope this helps,

Paul

Phone payment scam? Need independent advice? Payforit Faq for O2 Customers

Help put a stop to these scams. Join our Facebook Group
Message 5 of 6

Mark73
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks - they are unsolicited, come from the website freestuff.eu via the messaging system, messagebird.com, usually offering me the chance to win a voucher (eg Sainsburys £500 card) or large value item (eg TV).  It's SPAM not SCAM so I've forwarded as you suggest to 7726.  Thanks again.

Message 6 of 6