Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can O2 provide me with an eSim?

sunmat
Level 1: Joiner
  • 13 Posts
  • 5 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I'm currently traveling in the US and just bought myself an iPhone 15 Pro. To my surprise, the US version doesn't have a Sim card slot, it only accepts eSim. I urgently need to know if O2 can provide me with an eSim for my phone number, and if so, where/how can I ask for it? If not, I will have to return this iPhone to an Apple Store before I return to UK.

Thanks!

Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17

Oxonian
Level 28: Ingenious
  • 5853 Posts
  • 100 Topics
  • 21 Solutions

@sunmat 

Does having a US handset in the UK not complicate matters if anything goes wrong with it during the warranty period ? 

Message 11 of 18

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144563 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27719 Solutions

Apple warranty will not apply outside of the US so will have to be sent back there, however, some choose to take the risk to get a cheaper phone.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 12 of 18

Oxonian
  • 5853 Posts
  • 100 Topics
  • 21 Solutions

@MI5 

That's a matter of personal choice but if you think of the cost of an iPhone, it is one that I would be reluctant to take to save maybe 10 per cent or 15 per cent.  

Message 13 of 18

Enlli
Level 65: Ultra-cool
  • 6642 Posts
  • 49 Topics
  • 1493 Solutions

It won't be 10 or 15% saving if you are unfortunate to get customs involved 

This is not O2 and we are all customers here similar to yourself and cannot answer account type queries.
Message 14 of 18

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144563 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27719 Solutions

Not for me either, but then I wouldn't pay those prices for any phone unless it was machined from a gold nugget.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 15 of 18

Oxonian
  • 5853 Posts
  • 100 Topics
  • 21 Solutions

@Enlli 

Agreed. There are a multitude of potential difficulties with buying from overseas. 

Message 16 of 18

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 10216 Posts
  • 55 Topics
  • 3013 Solutions

@Oxonian @Enlli 

2nd attempt thanks to the f****g pop up.. 

The savings can be huge, I saved 35% (inc Sales Tax) buy buying a Surface Pro in Boston (US not Lincolnshire tongue ) on the UK Price, and MS in the UK fixed it when in Abu Dhabi, I dropped it and smashed the screen (i had to pay)..

I have bought laptops, phones, lenses and much more in the US , HK and Japan, and as long as the buyer is aware of the risks (which can be mitigated) then no harm in buying an iPhone or any other device.

There are ways round getting support on iPhones such as buying Apple Care which covers the device worldwide (or did)

Never had customs stop me and you have to be very unlucky to be stopped, but again just dont bring packaging back, or fold it down and put it in your carry on...

It is a case of do your research, and buyer beware...

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 17 of 18

Oxonian
  • 5853 Posts
  • 100 Topics
  • 21 Solutions

@madasaf1sh 

I will bow to your experience in this regard. 

If I ever go abroad and am contemplating such a purchase, I will reopen this thread and ask you how to mitigate the risks - unless you want to detail this now, as others might find the information really valuable.   

Message 18 of 18