Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Calls on Galaxy Watch 5 Pro LTE

Loblyk
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 10 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

I have a Galaxy Watch 5 Pro LTE. I went to an O2 shop and added a line for it. After several failed calls to 202, a visit an O2 shop, various attempts, and internet searches I managed to get calls on the watch when the watch is not connected to the phone via Bluetooth.

However, for the watch to make/receive calls the phone must be connected to the network. It is pretty illogical this requirement. The whole point of being able to make/receive calls on a second device, it is to have some backup when one of them is unavailable, for instance the phone’s battery ran out power. All other networks managed to get this simple task working. It seems that O2 is the only which does not have it.

After contacting customer service again, the only information is that the phone must be on.

Does anyone in O2 know the reason for this requirement? Other networks managed to get this working properly. Why is O2 not solving this problem?

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

bezman70
Level 1: Joiner
  • 22 Posts
  • 7 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi there, Sorry to butt in with this question but can you say how you got your watch to make calls and receive calls without the phone being close by please because no matter what i do it just won't work. I have the Galaxy watch 5

Message 2 of 8

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144894 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27775 Solutions

@bezman70 

Guide here Guide: Connecting your Samsung Smartwatch 

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 8

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144894 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27775 Solutions

@Loblyk 

No idea but it's always been that way with O2.

Not sure what the other network requirements are.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 4 of 8

bezman70
Level 1: Joiner
  • 22 Posts
  • 7 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi,

After a random Google search I tried a suggestion that was just turn off the WiFi switch on your watch and now I can use the watch as a separate device. Happy days

Message 5 of 8

Loblyk
  • 10 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

I am glad that you got that going. Just keep in mind that he phone MUST be connected to the network for the watch to make calls.

Message 6 of 8

Loblyk
  • 10 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

I do appreciate that it has been that way with O2 always, but it does not have to be. It is a very illogical requirement. Basically, it says that if one wants to have a watch working properly one has to go to a different network.

This eSIM contracts are pure profit for O2 why not making it work properly. I am happy for anybody on O2 to give me any logical reason for it, but at the moment it seems that the only reason is that it has always has been that way.

Message 7 of 8

Loblyk
  • 10 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

@O2Sarah @O2Daniel 

Do you know why the phone needs to be connected to the network for the watch to make calls? Please see OP for details.

Does anyone in O2 know a logical, technical reason for this restriction?

Message 8 of 8