Did you mean: 

Call forwarding "Failed to read data error"

AnonymousS10
Level 1: Joiner
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hello,
I have a Samsung S10 (O2 pay monthly contract) and a Samsung software update automatically downloaded yesterday which has caused glitches I have never experienced before. My call forwarding is enabled and can no longer be disabled. The call forwarding to voicemail phone number that was set up has been removed and a "failed to read data" error message pops up whenever I tap anywhere in the call forwarding/barring sections.

If I try to enter a number in any of the call forward options eg 'Always forward' and click "enable" the number doesn't get saved and disappears. I can't disable the call forwarding meaning that I can't receive calls. I can make calls however.

I have spent hours with O2 and Samsung which was a massive waste of time as neither companies understands their own products.

I have done a network reset. Tried disabling call forwarding in safe mode - same error message. Did all the troubleshooting I could find. Tested my sim card on the Samsung app - works fine, I can make calls and access all my contacts. Tried the ##002# to cancel all diverts but it didn't work and got an MMI error code 801. I don't want to turn off my voicemail so didn't try 1760.

Another issue I have is the voicemail number I was given by O2 to forward calls to (not 901 but a 11-digit long number) in the "always forward" setting was removed after the latest update and I didn't make a note of it. When I asked O2 they had no idea what I was referring to. Does anyone know the number? It's not 901 but a +44... number for the voicemail.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you!

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144166 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions

@AnonymousS10 

Have you tried a factory reset?

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 9

AnonymousS10
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I don't want to start having to do a factory reset every time there's a software update. My phone was working absolutely fine up to that point. It's a huge amount of time trying to restore some of the apps data.

Message 3 of 9

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144166 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions

Your choice of course but it's not working perfectly no so I don't see much choice.......

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 4 of 9

adelphiaUK
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 28 Posts
  • 5 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Did you get this resolved as it's not working on Android 11 but it is working on Android 10. Is the long number beginning +44 not your own number using the country code?

Chris
VMO2 Volt customer since December 2021
PS: Please excuse misspellings and anything which may not make sense as the medication I take sometimes have an adverse effect on me.
Message 5 of 9

AnonymousS10
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Mine is also Android 11. No, the "failed to read data" error in supplementary services has still not been fixed despite the several software updates since the one that caused the glitch back in September. Still not able to forward/bar calls. I grew tired of dealing with the always so useless Samsung support.

I was able to get the +4477 voicemail number from O2 Twitter support as the chat/phone help were beyond clueless. It's not my actual mobile number. It's a (mobile format) number assigned by O2. 

Message 6 of 9

adelphiaUK
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 28 Posts
  • 5 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Well. This afternoon I was on the phone to a lady and she was very helpful and gave me all the codes for call forwarding. She also enabled Wi-Fi Calling for me which I wanted.

However, from reading other replies you can't use MMI codes if you have Wi-Fi Calling enabled, why I don't know and as you can't turn off Wi-Fi Calling yourself, you have to go through 202 so I've just wasted my time and hers, but you would have thought she would have told me this but alas, no.

Apparently to get Wi-Fi Calling working it can take up to 24 hours but mine says its enabled. BTW I've since found out you can't see the account status of Wi-Fi Calling in the O2 app, or at least I can't find it.

Let's see who gets this sorted first so we can then feedback to the rest of the community.

PS: My tablet (this device) has just upgraded to Android 12

Chris
PS: Please excuse misspellings and anything which may not make sense as the medication I take sometimes have an adverse effect on me.
Message 7 of 9

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 10143 Posts
  • 55 Topics
  • 3004 Solutions

@adelphiaUK 

The reason you cant use the codes is that they are GSM codes so you need to be connected directly through the network, and not via the WiFi calling Gateways as the call becomes a sort of SIP connection. 

You don't need to disable wifi calling at a network level, just turn WiFi off on the phone, and then use the codes, whilst connected to 4G/3G/2G

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 8 of 9

adelphiaUK
  • 28 Posts
  • 5 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Well. I'm still unsure how this works as all of a sudden I have Wi-Fi Calling appear under my phone settings and my forwarding options are going to the right numbers and I can set them there, but I still can't SEND any MMI but I CAN use the MMI which are local to the device, like *#0011# to grab one of the Service Mode menus up.

*** DISCLAIMER ***

I TAKE NO RESPOSIBILITY IF YOU USE THAT CODE,

MESS AROUND AND BRICK YOUR DEVICE

*** DISCLAIMER ***

Anything else I can try as the ring count is still too short when going to not answered. I need it to get at 30, not like 5 which it currently is; I don't even have time to reach for my phone before it goes to email!

Chris
Message 9 of 9