Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT VOIP with my Virgin Hub 3.0

biggerdave
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I'm sure this has been asked before (although I couldn't find precise answers here, sorry) but like millions of other BT landline users, we're being forced to go the BT voip route and wondered if anyone here can clarify things for an old codger like me.

I currently have an analogue Panasonic handset/answerphone plugged into my Openreach/BT analogue landline phone single socket with another 2 extra remote handsets which all work fine and a Virgin Media Hub 3.0 for my internet connection.   

1. When I eventually get this new Smart Hub 2 can it be plugged directly into one of my spare TP-Link Powerline Adaptors (which is how I currently get my internet connection from the VM hub to my Desktop PC in a different room as WiFi's not good enough due to my room layouts) and/or could it be plugged into my VM Hub 3.0 to enable me to access the BT voip phone line and therefore allow me to plug my old analogue Panasonic into the phone port in the Smart Hub 2 to avoid having to replace my handsets with VOIP versions (with all the hassle involved with reloading all my contacts etc)?

2. Am I right in thinking that IF I DID (reluctantly) agree to use the new digital voip handset I could still do this "just" by plugging it in, via the supplied filter, directly into my Openreach/BT wall socket and not bother with the Smart Hub?

Sorry to bother you guys but it's worrying me because I just can't fathom things out and need some guidance.

I'm sure once I get some (hopefully positive) responses to this I'll be back for sure!

tia  

Message 1 of 6
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 147812 Posts
  • 639 Topics
  • 28355 Solutions

@biggerdave 

There are guides on YouTube for this.

It can be quite involved depending on your current phone wiring so best to grab a drink and sit back to watch a few of them.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 6
5 REPLIES 5

Enlli
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 7338 Posts
  • 53 Topics
  • 1606 Solutions

This is a community of O2 mobile Customers. You need to direct broadband enquiries to Virgin

0345 4541111 

Or their community

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/user/userloginpage?dest_url=https:%2F%2Fcommunity.virginmedia.c...

This is not O2 and we are all customers here similar to yourself and cannot answer account type queries.
Message 2 of 6

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 147812 Posts
  • 639 Topics
  • 28355 Solutions

@biggerdave 

There are guides on YouTube for this.

It can be quite involved depending on your current phone wiring so best to grab a drink and sit back to watch a few of them.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 3 of 6

biggerdave
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

OK, sorry to have troubled you.

Please trash this thread!

Message 4 of 6

Enlli
  • 7338 Posts
  • 53 Topics
  • 1606 Solutions

@biggerdave I would definitely try the Virgin Community, there are some very knowledgeable folk on there when it comes to this sort of thing

This is not O2 and we are all customers here similar to yourself and cannot answer account type queries.
Message 5 of 6

gmarkj
  • 12450 Posts
  • 95 Topics
  • 1152 Solutions

I think you're getting a little confused @biggerdave 

We have VM for phone and BB, and the instruction we have is that the phone line will be coming via the BB hub.

There's no need to change the physical phone for a VOIP one (unless you want to) and that would run over the WiFi anyway - and not the phone port on your VM hub...

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 6 of 6