cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apple Watch Ultra Disconnecting from Cellular Data and only connects again if watch is restarted

mobileappz
Level 3: Thinker
  • 35 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi, I'm experiencing some issues with the cellular connection on an Apple Watch Ultra. The cellular data connection drops and does not come back unless the Watch is restarted. This problems occurs when using the  watch for cellular features. ie when it is not connected on a Wifi or iPhone connection. This is in an area with good 4G cellular coverage, the network coverage is not causing the problem.

The Apple Watch connects to cellular data when it's first switched on, and it works and can receive data. It says when you tap on the cellular bars:

"Mobile Data - O2 UK - 4G". And it says when on tapping the big green cellular icon: Status: Connected.

The problem is when moving to an area of low signal, then back to the full signal area, it is impossible for the Watch to reconnect to a full signal, even when clearly back in the full signal area. 

It says when you tap on the cellular bars, even when moving back in to the 4G area:

"Mobile Data - O2 UK". And it says when on tapping the big green cellular icon: Status: Loading.

The only way to cellular data reception back is to restart the Apple Watch. This obviously resets the data connection.

I have tried all the usual remedies: Unpair and factory reset Apple Watch, Remove and re-add Apple Watch data plan in the Apple Watch App on the iPhone, switch cellular data on and off on Watch and switch flight mode on and off on Watch. However the only way it regains data reception is restarting the Apple Watch.

Message 1 of 233
232 REPLIES 232

Oxonian
Level 31: Resolver
  • 7588 Posts
  • 143 Topics
  • 25 Solutions

@samaryd 

You only issue with "looking at alternative suppliers" is that O2 are not the only network with Apple Watch problems. You will need to be careful otherwise it could transpire to be an "out of the frying pan and into the fire" move. 

There was a thread on here recently in which someone reported solving problems with his watch. have you done a search and reviewed the other threads on this subject ?     

Message 221 of 233

samaryd
  • 6 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I have read threads both here and on the Apple website too, and have tried the ‘fix’ given. O2 assured me they had removed and re-added the service but who knows if they really did? I have been to the Apple Genius Bar and they ran diagnostics on the watch and assured me it’s working as it should. I’m now waiting for a call back from an O2 technical team after calling for the fourth time (and getting cut off twice today). If it’s not fixed by this technical call back I think I’ll have to send it back for a refund. I paid extra for a cellular-enabled watch and right now seems like it was a waste of money.

Message 222 of 233

Oxonian
  • 7588 Posts
  • 143 Topics
  • 25 Solutions

@samaryd 

You will need to keep pursuing O2 as the technical team are quite adept at promising a call-back but failing to do so. If I was in your position, I would probably be inclined to return the watch, take the refund and to start again in the New Year.

Please keep us updated on developments.  

Message 223 of 233

samaryd
  • 6 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

More in hope than in expectation, I've also removed the plan and will wait 24 hours to try to re-add it, just in case. Reading other stuff elsewhere, I see I too had 'no SIM' under ICCID in the settings hence giving this a go. And separately, I've bought a PAYG SIM from another provider to see how that works before committing. I'm on a SIM-only contract with O2 so not so huge a problem for me to move, unlike some others tied into long Refresh contracts.

I worked for O2 until recently and sadly the problems with customer support getting to a resolution mirror my experiences - hence why I no longer do...

Message 224 of 233

Oxonian
  • 7588 Posts
  • 143 Topics
  • 25 Solutions

@samaryd 

I have had my O2 numbers since the BT Cellnet days when Customer Service was excellent !  

Message 225 of 233

samaryd
  • 6 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Me too - apart from a brief 18-month flirtation with Vodafone, I've been with Cellnet/BT Cellnet/O2 since I got my first mobile since 1994. Always recommended them to other people and never had a minute's trouble. But Virgin Media O2 is making/has made over 2000 people redundant in the UK this year and it really, really shows that they're pushing more functions to their overseas call centres to save money.

Message 226 of 233

Oxonian
  • 7588 Posts
  • 143 Topics
  • 25 Solutions

@samaryd 

Yes, not good at all !

Message 227 of 233

samaryd
  • 6 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Here we are 24 hours later… I re-added the plan, was slightly hopeful when the O2 message came back ‘it looks like you’ve reset your watch’. Waited for the text to say the service was active. And - nothing. It’s the hope that kills you.incoming-2EED01F7-6AC7-47E2-90D3-D1FCE64506F9.jpegincoming-9542E2AD-17AB-4517-926D-FFCA7A807581.jpegincoming-74EF67CA-FBCF-45B2-B1AA-CE05C59971E6.png

Message 228 of 233

Oxonian
  • 7588 Posts
  • 143 Topics
  • 25 Solutions

@samaryd 

Presumably you are now back to "...return the watch, take the refund and to start again...". 

Please keep us updated on developments. 

Message 229 of 233

samaryd
  • 6 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Still waiting for the promised call back from the tech team. Place your bets...

Message 230 of 233