cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apple Watch Ultra Disconnecting from Cellular Data and only connects again if watch is restarted

mobileappz
Level 3: Thinker
  • 35 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi, I'm experiencing some issues with the cellular connection on an Apple Watch Ultra. The cellular data connection drops and does not come back unless the Watch is restarted. This problems occurs when using the  watch for cellular features. ie when it is not connected on a Wifi or iPhone connection. This is in an area with good 4G cellular coverage, the network coverage is not causing the problem.

The Apple Watch connects to cellular data when it's first switched on, and it works and can receive data. It says when you tap on the cellular bars:

"Mobile Data - O2 UK - 4G". And it says when on tapping the big green cellular icon: Status: Connected.

The problem is when moving to an area of low signal, then back to the full signal area, it is impossible for the Watch to reconnect to a full signal, even when clearly back in the full signal area. 

It says when you tap on the cellular bars, even when moving back in to the 4G area:

"Mobile Data - O2 UK". And it says when on tapping the big green cellular icon: Status: Loading.

The only way to cellular data reception back is to restart the Apple Watch. This obviously resets the data connection.

I have tried all the usual remedies: Unpair and factory reset Apple Watch, Remove and re-add Apple Watch data plan in the Apple Watch App on the iPhone, switch cellular data on and off on Watch and switch flight mode on and off on Watch. However the only way it regains data reception is restarting the Apple Watch.

Message 1 of 233
232 REPLIES 232

Anonymous
Not applicable

All, an update from me. I’ve now fully moved over to EE and so far I’ve had none of the cellular problems I had with O2. I’ve done a couple of workouts without my iPhone and my Ultra has remained connected the whole time. Plus, unlike @246astralblue, this is the same Apple Watch. The real test will be when I do a long run tomorrow, but my confidence is growing. I’m now convinced this is completely an O2 issue and no matter how many times you’re told unpair/repair your watch it’s not going to solve the problem. 

The only glimmer of hope those still struggling, is Apple is due to release watchOS 9.1 on Monday 24th and maybe this provides a software fix. 

Message 81 of 233

numbers912
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 25 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

for what it is worth, O2 doing a replacement for me now.

Message 82 of 233

Robsa
Level 3: Thinker
  • 66 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Still heard nothing from their tech team or anyone else at O2 for that matter! Really want to be rid of O2 now, their mobile coverage actually seems far worse now and I see 3G all the time!

Message 83 of 233

numbers912
  • 25 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I noticed today at football (QPR) that my signal was back to how it used to be with 4G in the ground. Pages not loading because of the amount of phones all in one confined space. It only seemed to be O2 that would struggle before 5G as well. Others seemed ok. Back home in Cheltenham now and the 5G signal is poor. Back on subject, was supposed to be hearing about replacement today - nothing.

Message 84 of 233

numbers912
  • 25 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

replacement watch coming tomorrow although I do not believe it is the watch.  I have told them this and did not request a replacement.

Message 85 of 233

snookieboy
  • 10 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

WatchOS 9.1 didn’t change anything, just updated and 20 minutes later no connection 😞

were at a month now and still nothing from o2 about fixing it, meanwhile they be charging customers another monthly instalment for a service they cannot be bothered to provide. 

Message 86 of 233

numbers912
  • 25 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Yeah did nothing for me either and strongly expect the new watch to be the same issue

Message 87 of 233

snookieboy
  • 10 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Potential shocking development…

this morning, rebooted my Apple Watch ad usual before a run (to get 15 mins of data or so), started my run and 40 minutes later it still has a data connection…

I wasn’t streaming music (ended up doing offline playlists due to the fault) but Siri was working and got notifications 

I noticed in the esim section, the network profile is now o2 v52; was previously v51

so not sure if they fixed it or I just got lucky this morning. Will try tomorrow streaming music and report back; but curious if anyone who hasn’t already jumped ship have noticed anything similar or if it was just an ultra lucky one off for me?

Message 88 of 233

Ozwildan
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

This is sooooo frustrating!  How do you find out the esim network profile number??

Message 89 of 233

mobileappz
  • 35 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Possibly in Apple Watch iPhone app > General > about > network provider

will be interesting to hear if this is resolved 

Message 90 of 233