Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5g sim swap

PeteS2022
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hello - I have been with O2 for many years and never needed any advice but hopefully someone can help me.

I have just bought a new 5g phone and the O2 shop gave me a 5g SIM. If I put this new SIM in my phone and do the SIM swap will I automatically keep my phone number?

I got a message today from O2 saying they have upgraded my account to 5g - and my phone is showing the 5g symbol at the top of the screen when I am in a 5g reception area.

Is there any reason for me to actually change to the new SIM? ( My existing SIM is many years old!)

Thanks for any help or advice.

Message 1 of 3
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 9986 Posts
  • 54 Topics
  • 2981 Solutions

@PeteS2022 

Yes, as the old sims are 4G only, but it sounds like your sim is already 5G so no need to simswap

If you want to simswap, you need to start the sim swap from your current sim card, and follow the instructions on the sim wallet  or here Guide: Sim Swap: a mini guide 2017 update 

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3
2 REPLIES 2

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 9986 Posts
  • 54 Topics
  • 2981 Solutions

@PeteS2022 

Yes, as the old sims are 4G only, but it sounds like your sim is already 5G so no need to simswap

If you want to simswap, you need to start the sim swap from your current sim card, and follow the instructions on the sim wallet  or here Guide: Sim Swap: a mini guide 2017 update 

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 2 of 3

PeteS2022
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks for your quick reply.

My SIM is old so I will probably do the SIM swap.

Thanks for the link to the guide - very helpful.

Cheers,

Pete 

Message 3 of 3