Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5G Speeds on iPhone

shdTN26
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I have had an iPhone 13 Pro for just under a year now. Was not particularly bothered about whether or not it was 5G capable, as I live in a rural area that I thought would never see 5G. However, now that I have found 5G coverage about 6 miles away, and also whenever I go up to London it keeps jumping up on the top right of my screen that I am connected to 5G.

Here is the "but": The first time my phone ever connected to 5G, I thought "Wow, that's fast"! But now every time it connects, my reaction is something along the lines of "Why is Google Maps taking to long to load up satellite images", or "My banking App seems slow today". I am not sure what is going on, and when I ran a search I saw suggestions that switching on Airplane Mode then switching off would resolve. Which indeed it seem to, but this is not a valid workround - the transition from 4G to 5G whilst moving should be seamless.

Anyone else noticed this, or is my phone in need of repair / replacement?

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2

pgn
Level 75: Digital Don
  • 37281 Posts
  • 239 Topics
  • 1700 Solutions

Ah yes, the need for speed, @shdTN26 - no 5G where I am yet, but this article preps me for the odd gotchas: 

5G is fast, but not perfect. Here’s why you might want to turn it off sometimes. https://www.popsci.com/diy/turn-off-5g/

Message 2 of 3

Enlli
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 7133 Posts
  • 51 Topics
  • 1590 Solutions

I have 5G on Both Vodafone and O2. Sometimes speeds are indeed very fast and sometimes 4G is better. Whatever the networks tell you until we get full Stand Alone 5G we are going to see this. None Stand Along 5G (which we have) still relies on 4G in a number of ways.

When I am in a 5G area for a long time I often switch it off as it definitely shortens my battery life and 4G is plenty for my needs 90% of the time.

This is not O2 and we are all customers here similar to yourself and cannot answer account type queries.
Message 3 of 3