Did you mean: 

4g Second SIM for Hotspot Signal Boost in the Shed

jonnydee
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi,

I'm working in the shed on a laptop > connected to personal hotspot from phone, which is taped to the ceiling to get a decent 4g signal for Zoom calls.

I think I'll get this 'hotspot router' and tape it to the ceiling instead, then connect laptop to it.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0CRH7X53V

Do I ask 02 for a second identical SIM?

Or what?

1. I only want to use and pay for my existing data allowance, obviously.
  2. I don't want to have to switch SIMs round each time I enter or leave the shed!
  3. There is no Wi-Fi in the house.

Cheers!

Message 1 of 9
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Enlli
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 7108 Posts
  • 51 Topics
  • 1586 Solutions

Have you tried PAYG SIM cards on different network to see if you get a better signal?

If you are out of minimum contract you could then see what that network has to offer.

I have WiFi in my shed courteously of a Wi-Fi booster in an upstairs bedroom window. 

This is not O2 and we are all customers here similar to yourself and cannot answer account type queries.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 9
8 REPLIES 8

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 146940 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28263 Solutions

@jonnydee 

You will need a new data only sim from O2.

You cannot duplicate your phone sim.

https://www.o2.co.uk/shop/sim-cards

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 2 of 9

jonnydee
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

See point 1.

Paying more to get my data to reach a further 120cm isn't feasible or fair.

What other options are there?

Message 3 of 9

Enlli
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 7108 Posts
  • 51 Topics
  • 1586 Solutions

Have you tried PAYG SIM cards on different network to see if you get a better signal?

If you are out of minimum contract you could then see what that network has to offer.

I have WiFi in my shed courteously of a Wi-Fi booster in an upstairs bedroom window. 

This is not O2 and we are all customers here similar to yourself and cannot answer account type queries.
Message 4 of 9

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 146940 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28263 Solutions

@jonnydee wrote:

See point 1.

Paying more to get my data to reach a further 120cm isn't feasible or fair.

What other options are there?

Strange how everyone wants to make up their own rules 😁

Unless you carry on using your phone as now, you will have to pay extra.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 5 of 9

jonnydee
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks, it's nice to have other suggestions.

Anyone got other ideas?

Starting with a £20 hotspot machine seems to me like a conversation for creative tech?

Message 6 of 9

Oxonian
Level 31: Resolver
  • 7544 Posts
  • 142 Topics
  • 25 Solutions

@jonnydee wrote:

Thanks, it's nice to have other suggestions.

Anyone got other ideas?

Starting with a £20 hotspot machine seems to me like a conversation for creative tech?

@jonnydee 

The difficulty here is that you cannot do what you want to do. We can talk about 4G and 5G mobile routers and we can talk about data SIMs. However, you cannot share one SIM between two gadgets - a 'phone and a router - without physically keep moving the SIM from one to the other.

I suppose that could be the answer ; you physically move the SIM into your router in the morning and at the end of your working day, you put it back into your 'phone. 😀

Message 7 of 9

pgn
Level 75: Digital Don
  • 37231 Posts
  • 238 Topics
  • 1697 Solutions

Except the phone SIM won't work reliably in the router, as highlighted previously on this thread, @Oxonian and @jonnydee ⚠️

Message 8 of 9

Oxonian
Level 31: Resolver
  • 7544 Posts
  • 142 Topics
  • 25 Solutions

@pgn wrote:

Except the phone SIM won't work reliably in the router, as highlighted previously on this thread, @Oxonian and @jonnydee ⚠️

I agree @pgn, but OP asked for further suggestions so that is something that is maybe worth a try. You say "...the phone SIM won't work reliably in the router...", but will it work at all in it ?  

In my view, the bigger problem is that if you are switching the SIM morning and evening, it is only a matter of time before you damage or break the router, 'phone, SIM or any combination thereof. 👍  

Message 9 of 9