Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPhone X first impressions

aldaweb
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 1722 Posts
  • 50 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

Having used Blackberry 10 OS and also WebOS I see a lot of similarity to the swipe version of iOS on the iPhone X, the swipe up to open or go to home screen and the half swipe up to the app switcher from both the above, the swipe along the bottom between apps reminiscent of the Playbook OS, along with a tap to wake from the Android world. I find its use much more intuitive than previous iPhones.

I thought I would miss the fingerprint reader, but face unlock only seems to fail when laying flat on the table but is unlocked as soon as the phone is picked up. It even works in the car cradle I have set lower and to my left as long as I glance down, important as I need to be able to switch between music or audiobooks and calls (I have Do Not Disturb whilst driving turned off or it would interfere with my work.)

I haven't had a chance to use the camera in anger yet though what I have taken does not disappoint.

Albert Bridge.JPG

Other than that it performs as I would expect for email, messaging and contactless payments as previous iPhones have, though I tend to use the watch for payments rather than the phone.

I'll keep this fairly brief for a first impressions post so leave it here.

8 Comments
Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122383 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Thanks for those first impressions @aldaweb Good to hear you are getting on with the phone.

A lovely photo by the way wink

jonsie
  • 92929 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

A good initial first impressions,  I'm glad that it is actually a step up from Apple 😀

Marjo
Former Staff
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

Lovely, thanks for posting this @aldaweb and nice to see you back! 

Quick question related to the face unlock if you might know, can you set it up to not immediately unlock when glancing at it, in case you just wish to check the time on the device? slight_smile

Let us know if you'd like to move this in the Reviews section by the way at any point. First impressions fit there too. thumbsup

aldaweb
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 1722 Posts
  • 50 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

thanks @Marjo 

On the face unlock, if you just pick the phone up it will unlock but stay on the lock screen until you swipe up, so you can see th time clearly. If you are responding to a notification though it will unlock and open the relevant app. You can also turn off the requirement for 'attention' for times when your eyes may be hidden behind dark glasses cool or other instances where it may not be possible to look at the phone. Incidentally it still works in the dark. slight_smile

I hadn't noticed the reviews section until after I'd posted so by all means move this there. Good Idea

Marjo
Former Staff
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

That sounds good! I'm almost too tempted to get this phone myself. Happy Dance

Martin-O2
Former Staff
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

Great first impressions @aldaweb! Any more of these iPhone reviews and I'll be tempted to switch from Android! 

MI5
  • 143452 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Trust me Martin, as a forced iPhone user, you would regret it.
Martin-O2
Former Staff
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

@MI5 Might be worth borrowing one for a few weeks before I commit.