Did you mean: 

PRIMO 805 Doro A review by older user who is also partially hearing

Jenny105
Level 15: Gaining a Reputation
  • 702 Posts
  • 122 Topics
  • 3 Solutions

DORO 805 Primo review

The Primo™ series is for people who want an easy to use mobile phone with essential features at an attractive price. Primo 805 by Doro has a 2.4” colour display, backlit big button keys, VGA camera & a speakerphone. Other features include dual SIM, SD card reader, FM radio, alarm, calendar, calculator, stop watch & three convenient quick keys to favourite contacts.

My personal review .      This view is mine. Please add any further personal experiences if different .

Primo is a neat & light clamshell phone, black in colour.(Black & white would help locate it in a handbag!)

• The small screen has a digital clock , the numerals are large & in white.( I used a photo of a dark surface as a background ).

•  

The symbols for the menu list are clear, the text is reasonably large.

• The central button for moving up & down, left & right through the menu & screen is pleasant to use. As is the the small left & right buttons for ''options'' etc.

• The number/alpha buttons are fairly large . I found them easy to press but the digits are small

• SIM card & SD card. Removal of the back & input of SIM  is tricky for older fingers

• Menu. Navigate via the central buttons. This phone is aimed at the older client . To set rings and tones and volume go to settings. (A lot of time was spent finding which settings were right for me. It was worth it)

•  Making calls & sending texts is straightforward. There's 3 buttons in which to store 3 favourite contacts
  •  My main thrill about the Primo phone is that I can hear callers voices on this phone , even in a supermarket. Being seriously hard of hearing not many phones allow me to make calls. Note The Primo is not hearing aid compatible via T bar or loop.
  • Photos / videos are obviously small you might be happy with the result . Stady hands required or there's rest the device on something hard and still

The personal downsides for me are

•  text inbox. Incoming list isnt clear & the list has tiny text. A person's tel no is superimposed onto the list
  • music playing when the clam shell is opened & closed . This can be stopped in settings but is complicated for some. Be prepared to try & try again

• Opening the back is very difficult , hazardous to nail & shell back alike

• Its  complicated  in parts

I still have my old phone. At the present the decision hasnt been made as to which to choose as my main phone. Being able to hear well scores high for Primo. The Primo is slightly more complex to use.

The Primo 805 is a good phone for the older person having the basic essentials. Neat with some good features. Some thought  should go into battery cover , placement of SIM and text size in places. The big plus for me was being able to make and receive mobile phone calls. The first time in years Fantastic  

If hearing is an issue it would be advisable to test the phone to find the settings best for your hearing loss and also with a variety of callers.

02 . It would be great to set up a system whereby brown book holders ,plus photo identity, would allow the hearing aid user to test the phone at home . I am unable to buy a phone/ tablet / smartphone with 02 , only the SIM, for this reason .

22 Comments
MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143182 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27459 Solutions

An interesting read @Jenny105

Thanks for sharing slight_smile

jonsie
  • 92812 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6909 Solutions

A nice impartial to review @Jenny105 and if my hearing continues to worsen I'll be needing such a phone. 

Jenny105
  • 702 Posts
  • 122 Topics
  • 3 Solutions
Thanks M15 . If you detect any ,improvement s or queries please send a PM. I enjoy reviews but my skill and speed have been hampered by tempus fugit , as of late .
I found some detailed specs but couldn't copy them in appropriate format.
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have one too @Jenny105 .. something maybe to add

the central navigation button can be used to shortcut direct from the home screen to..

up = camera

down = alarm

left = user profiles

right = write text message

Cleoriff
  • 122117 Posts
  • 823 Topics
  • 7456 Solutions

An excellent review @Jenny105. I thoroughly enjoyed reading it.

We have had a lot of great reviews on the latest flagship smartphones.... so this one from a different type of phone and your personal perspective, made a fascinating read for me.

Well done.  :smileywink:.

Cleoriff
  • 122117 Posts
  • 823 Topics
  • 7456 Solutions

@Jenny105  If you wanted to mention technical specifications in your review, it can be done by providing the blue link to this page

https://www.o2.co.uk/shop/phones/doro/primo-805

and just state *technical specifications can be found here*

Anonymous
Not applicable

A well put together review @Jenny105

Easy to read & well presented & interesting

Very well done Jenny105

(I bought a Doro phone for my elderly parents some years ago ... at 1st they didn't want the phone & tried to give it back to me ... I didn't want it obviously ... over a short period of time my dear dad Roy, bless him, well got the hang of it ... my mum not so ie she didn't like the phone ringing in her handbag when she was out up the street shopping so turned it down = defeating the whole object, when dad was housebound, & he needed her ... it's long gathering dust now ... but it was the right phone for them)

Very well done again Jenny105 slight_smile

aldaweb
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 1722 Posts
  • 50 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

Interesting review @Jenny105 particularly for those of us of advancing years with even older relatives.

Disappointing that although the menu text is resonably large the same is not carried over into the text messaging, but I guess that's offest by the in call volume. wink

Jenny105
  • 702 Posts
  • 122 Topics
  • 3 Solutions
J, as tempus fugit we get a little more slow in the auditory dept. I started early, at 24 so Ive been slowing down for a long time !!!! I'm having one last go @ a smartphone for my family. Ive mastered Wots App but haven't tried a phone call yet. Watch this space.
Jenny105
  • 702 Posts
  • 122 Topics
  • 3 Solutions
PPS Jonsie , I like the quote may I suggest
Don't leave yourself ! Go with yourself but discover new things along the way. Never turn back :-}
Jenny105
  • 702 Posts
  • 122 Topics
  • 3 Solutions
Thanks. I hadn't found that. I'm still learning !! In My other phone options can be navigated by pressing a number. Much quicker. I miss that in the Doro
Jenny105
  • 702 Posts
  • 122 Topics
  • 3 Solutions
🙂 many thanks
Jenny105
  • 702 Posts
  • 122 Topics
  • 3 Solutions
Wispa Red7 . I'm sure there is an easy way to lower the tone. And to lower volume. But Press boost when on call. Handbags ? I wish more manufacturers were female with hand bags. More needs to be done for the female user of phones.. I bought a neckloop to go with my smartphone. I probably need it. BUT by the time the phone's found in a handbag, hearing aid loop switched , device activated its too late, AND a lady want to go round with a neck loop over their dress a or blouse !!!! Men have jumpers & suits to hide theirs in
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Jenny105 wrote:
Wispa Red7 . I'm sure there is an easy way to lower the tone. And to lower volume. But Press boost when on call. Handbags ? I wish more manufacturers were female with hand bags. More needs to be done for the female user of phones.. I bought a neckloop to go with my smartphone. I probably need it. BUT by the time the phone's found in a handbag, hearing aid loop switched , device activated its too late, AND a lady want to go round with a neck loop over their dress a or blouse !!!! Men have jumpers & suits to hide theirs in

Yes, @Jenny105 ... men have say a shirt pocket & an inside suit jacket pocket = easily accessible ... & ... women's handbags designed by more women would be a definite improvement ... I did once try a neck-cord for my spectacles (before I had bi-focals) & they just hung off my chest & banged into things - so a phone would be the same rainbow

Jenny105
  • 702 Posts
  • 122 Topics
  • 3 Solutions
re handbags and telephones etc. A fixture on the back of a phone to assist in attachment for phone to handbag. Or a special invention by a female !. Ive bought a compact camera case to fit onto a belt for my new phone plus clam shell. Belts aren't suitable for all outfits tho 🙂
Martin-O2
Former Staff
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on the Doro 805 @Jenny105! It sounds like a great phone for those looking for something easy to use. smiling

I've moved this over to the Reviews section. wink

Marjo
Former Staff
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

Good one @Jenny105, thanks a lot for taking the time to review your Doro. smiling

Totally agree with the handbag discussion by the way. grin

Jenny105
  • 702 Posts
  • 122 Topics
  • 3 Solutions

Marjo Im very pleased that I can hear the Doro , I confidently make calls. The outdoor setting , and boost switch. It covers most voice tones , tho I havent tried my son yet. His tone is the hardest of all for me to hear Shocked

Handbags  black phones no good for handbags. Bags are like blackholes. Maybe they should have light fittings Cat Very Happy

Marjo
Former Staff
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

@Jenny105 Very glad to hear that you're finding the phone features useful. slight_smile

I've actually seen handbag led lights sold somewhere online. Useful especially when trying to find things in the dark!

MI5
  • 143182 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27459 Solutions

Don't you remember those flashing aerials from years back? http://www.kogan.com/media/files/blog/BLOG_11/9.jpg

jonsie
  • 92812 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6909 Solutions

I remember those well. They were all the rage at O2 because we got free samples. Ideal when you're phone was on the desk on mute and you didn't have to keep checking them for a call.

Jenny105
  • 702 Posts
  • 122 Topics
  • 3 Solutions

Hi    thanks for the really nice commments.

If any 02 ers would like advice on finding  settings on the 805 which might better suit their hearing ,  or relatives,. please speak up and I;ll go through possible  settings

If any 02 friends spot replies to this entry would U send a PM. A family member is about to have an op so the rhythm of life will change for a period.