cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My new Note 4

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi all

I got my new note 4 yesterday so thought I would do a new phone unboxing / setup post. 

The unboxing part was pretty straight forward. Phone, fast charger, headphones and instructions. The only thing I had to look at closely was the tool for removing the s pen nibs and the replacement nibs. Once I figured out what that was I moved onto the phone. 

New to android I had already in preparation made a Google account. 

Ran through setup and also took the time here to sign up with Samsung so I could get the extra options for the camera app. 

Been using the phone for just over a day now.  Here are my thoughts. 

Quite a bit of time spent customising the phone.  That includes setting wallpaper, removing the flipboard swipe, removing all widgets and adding a second screen with my wanted shortcuts. I also imported the mp3 ringtones I  like to have via USB. At this point this new phone and new operating system (new to me coming from wp 8.1) started to feel like my device which is a nice place to reach. 

Signed into my Microsoft live account to get my contact list back.  There was quite a bit of clearing up to do with the contacts as I think it must have also read some from the sim card which meant removing old ones and duplicates. After I cleared that up though my contacts with their pictures where all there. 

Nice apps in the play store and coming from a windows phone it's nice to have sky go finally!  After having a quick play with OK Google I have now turned it off in the hope it will save some battery. 

I have turned on swipe and predictive text on the keyboard which works great.  I have set up the fingerprint scanner and use that to sign into the phone.  Works well.  It's the first phone I have had with a fingerprint scanner so don't have anything to compare it to! 

Being new the android meant googling a few things like how to close running apps (recent app list then swipe, or use clear all button) and simple other things. Not really a problem though. 

Hardware wise the phone does seem pretty solid. Sometimes after reading so many reviews of something it can get built up so much that the reality would never meet the hype.  On the whole though it does seem very good. I am still learning some tricks though which are making it even better.  Turning off shortcut key in s voice makes the home button a lot quicker.  I am going through the battery pretty quick but the phone is getting a lot of use at the moment and I under stand it can take a few cycles to reach its peak. 

I haven't really tried out the camera properly yet or the s pen. 

My s view case and Samsung EVO memory card arrive Monday to compete the setup. 

The O2 shop were good with me.  When I highlighted the price difference between o2 and other stores the manager knocked the £30 upfront cost off. Only a little discount but enough to keep me happy! 

On the whole this wasn't just a new phone setup - it was a change of phone OS, and from that point of view android can be quite a lot to take in. However a day spent playing goes a long way to tame the beast! 

In closing the Note 4 is what I am looking for. A small tablet for the Web and email, a media player for TV, movies and YouTube, a point and shoot camera for the family and to top it all it makes phone calls.  I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship.

11 Comments
Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122358 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Hi @Anonymous 

Thanks for posting your unboxing/setting up review. Its great to have something that gives a starting point to setting up a new device, particularly when you have made the move from a completely different OS.

It was really interesting to me... as I am a bit of a technophobe..... but learning all the time.

Pleased to see you got a bit of a discount with your purchase wink

Hope to see you back and posting more about the Note 4 ...when you have had time to discover more things about it.

Thanks again slight_smile

MI5
  • 143423 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Excellent post, well done.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Nice review @Anonymous ! Very personalized ! I always enjoy the reviews that everybody can read and understand ! Even the technophobes ...LOL

Cleoriff
  • 122358 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

Nice review @Anonymous ! Very personalized ! I always enjoy the reviews that everybody can read and understand ! Even the technophobes ...LOL

Yep...that's why you loved mine so much...Happy Dance

Anonymous
Not applicable

TRue! Credit where it's due! I wasn't joking when I said it! If I wanted a technical review I would go on techradar or another site like that.

jonsie
  • 92916 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Great review and you have a brilliant device. The S-View cover is a joy to use too and gives a quality feel to the phone.:smileyhappy:

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for the feed back. Last bit of setup I did today is un-install a lot of the stock apps I didn't want and import custom notification sounds for email and calendar.

All that's left is to use it now!

Thanks for the kind welcome here over the last couple of weeks slight_smile
MI5
  • 143423 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
You're welcome and good to have you here slight_smile
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Anonymous ! Nice review, it's always good to hear the first impressions slight_smile

Also, I'm very happy to see you contributing in the community 

Toby
Former Staff
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
 I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship.

Good to hear @Anonymous and great job on a great review! slight_smile

If you get a chance to test out the camera, it would be great to see the picture quality.

Were there any other devices that also tempted you? 

aldaweb
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 1722 Posts
  • 50 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

@Toby wrote:
If you get a chance to test out the camera, it would be great to see the picture quality.

Did you see the pics in this thread @Toby 

Nice review btw @Anonymous