Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Meet the new Google Pixel 3 XL!

EdJones
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

My shiny new Pixel 3 XL arrived yesterday (1st Nov) and it is simply the best phone I have had yet and I have been through quite a few since I got my first "brick" back in 1992-93!

First, kudos for keeping me informed about delivery. I had three emails, the first saying it was due in 3-5 days, this was followed on the day by another email saying between 6am and 10pm and then a final one shortly after that giving me a hour slot when it would arrive. It did as promised - I love it when things like that just work.

Opening the box was a nice surprise when you see that all the cables required were included, no extras to try and find when all you want to do is get playing! This included the USB adapter, cable, power plug and headphones. The phones I deal with at work from a certain fruit place didn't have a power plug wink Here is a picture showing the goodness.

IMG_20181101_111747.jpg

The setup of the Pixel was also the easiest I have come across, a lot of work has obviously gone into making the transition from your old phone to the new one very smooth and pain free. I had already written down the apps that I use and would need to reinstall on the Pixel but after plugging in the old phone to the new I found that my apps where already on the new phone and were being downloaded for me. I did find though that my WhatsApp messages didn't come across but to me that is not a problem as my contacts, Gmail, photos, text messages all did which are more important to me.

I was also impressed that my wi-fi details where copied across so I didn't have to re-enter the log-in details and It Just Worked!

There is loads that is great about this new phone, the new version of Android that the Pixel comes with is slick and useful and well thought out.

I thought having a bigger screen would mean a bigger device and was worried that it would be more likely to fall out of my pocket or not even fit safely in my pocket. However, at least as far as my old phone goes, the Nexus 6P, it is no bigger but because the bevel is a lot smaller on the Pixel 3 you get more screen in the same size device. I love this! Additionally the finger print unlock works really well, I also avoided it before as I found them hit and miss but the sensor on the Pixel 3 works flawlessly, even if I don't hold my finger in exactly the right place each time. Nice not to have to enter a PIN or swipe a shape on screen, although, of course there is a PIN option I have used and works as normal. All good!

The biggest plus about this Pixel3 is the wireless charging - this is simply brilliant as all you do is put your phone on a suitable Qi charger pad (you have to buy this seperately) and it charges! No more routing about for that cable. Even if you do choose to use the cable it is the new USB C type which doesn't matter which way you plug it in, as this is something I got frustrated with with the old style USB as you never plugged it in the right way first time.

Yes, one very happy customer here thanks!

7 Comments