• 3412 Posts
  • 164 Topics
  • 53 Solutions

My initial view on it then. 

• Nice and compact unibody
  • Quite speedy and no noticable lag
  • Current UX experience slows down overall performance on GPU
  • Camera shots aren't as good or well contrasted as my LG G4
  • Android 7 change of interface is beguilling at first then has it's caveats & learning curve.
  • "Ergonomics" of hand comfort and length of body makes switch hands difficult.
  • Sound quality is good although seems a bit coloured in the mid-range over consumer earphones.
  • Durable glass and metal finish, although not drop testing this by any means possible.

I will try some new photos later since it's sunny. Maybe I'm being dumb here but the lazer focus was the best implementation on any camera phone to date.

Posted this in the wrong topic sorry.

29 Comments
anticpated
Level 30: Meditator
  • 3412 Posts
  • 164 Topics
  • 53 Solutions

I tried my slightly higher-end AKG K702 headphones and whilst the frequency response was slightly exagerated it wasn't as noticable bright as the cheaper earbuds.

Just need to do a photo test now.

Marjo
Former Staff
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

Hey @anticpated! Thanks for posting this, a mini review! grin  Looking forward to the photos if you get any. thumbsup

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92812 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6909 Solutions

Nice first impressions @anticpated

Looking forward to seeing the photos. 😀

anticpated
  • 3412 Posts
  • 164 Topics
  • 53 Solutions
Ok. I took some photos today.
jonsie
  • 92812 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6909 Solutions

@anticpated wrote:
Ok. I took some photos today.

Waiting in anticipation..... 😂

anticpated
  • 3412 Posts
  • 164 Topics
  • 53 Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Lovely photos @anticpated smiling

Was there one of The Falkirk 'Wheel'? ... ... ... & ... ... ... may I ask about the name of the castle please?

I'm absolutely no @viridis wink ... but ... to me, in a word, they're ... = ... clear rainbow

anticpated
  • 3412 Posts
  • 164 Topics
  • 53 Solutions

Yes the Falkirk wheel. The building is Dunfermline Abbey I think. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@anticpated wrote:

Yes the Falkirk wheel. The building is Dunfermline Abbey I think. 

Thank you @anticpated ... ... ... I wouldn't have the courage to use The Falkirk Wheel ... but I bet the opportunity for stunning photos is great ... fabulous white architecture in the green landscape & blue sky

Dumfirmline Abbey you say ... thank you ... I'll do a Google on it rainbow

jonsie
  • 92812 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6909 Solutions

I like the Abbey photo. I love pictures taken through trees or bushes. 

Beenherebefore
Level 32: Blockbuster         
  • 5063 Posts
  • 113 Topics
  • 12 Solutions

@jonsie wrote:

I love pictures taken through trees or bushes. 

0 LH facepalm.jpg

jonsie
  • 92812 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6909 Solutions

@Beenherebefore wrote:

@jonsie wrote:

I love pictures taken through trees or bushes. 

0 LH facepalm.jpg

Some people.... 😂 😂 

anticpated
  • 3412 Posts
  • 164 Topics
  • 53 Solutions
I just clicked on. Took me a while.
MI5
  • 143192 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27460 Solutions
Woof woof !
jonsie
  • 92812 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6909 Solutions

Should never click on whatever it was. ...😂

anticpated
  • 3412 Posts
  • 164 Topics
  • 53 Solutions

So rather than concentrate on what this phone in comparison to another I will just state what it has.

Security:

Lock screen, code, password, fingerpint scan, pin number and power up password protection.

All useful methods of privacy and you can fallback to another way if for example your password fails. So probably not a good idea to share codes.

One thing nuisance is the constant need to clean the backbutton due to skin sweat/oils normally evaded olephobic* properties which should be part of the Gorlla Glass design however not mentioned in the literture. It has GG 5 on the back as it's more impact resistant, rounded bevel shell to prevent or reduce shattering if the device is dropped.

* oil resistant

It has GG 3 on the front as it is more scratch resistant. Nokia 8 uses all Gorilla Glass 5 plus a heataband to isolate the coponents from the casing. 

If you go to a lot of concerts then it has an HD audio recorder which allows larger resolution recordings (24-bit/96Khz maximum sample size). 

Call quality is very good on use far, which  audio being audible and clear. 

I already discussed the photography side of things and often forgotten about are the DNG JPG photographs will capture images without processing them in manual mode. 360 degree panorama, panaroma and several other modes like selfie mode. I've still to investigate these more like blurring the background for depth of field effects.

As this is LG it comes with very little bloatware and a new UX interface running on Android 7 (Nougat). You may notice the missing home page button. If you perservere with the updates you can revert to this way of doing things.

The headphone jack is reasonable when connected to a good set of headphones whereas the bottom mono speaker grille serves a mediocre output for teenagers on back of busses to annoy us with trap music and major drops!

The thing I find overall with this interface is whilist the CPU speedy and flies through content, it can become hectic when two applications are demanding the phone handset at the same time (happened twice this week).

There is lots of layers to this OS and the 10GB is mainly hidden from the user with many suv-functions within others.  It's difficult to know where to start really.

Perhaps someone should ask a question.

The specifications can be found on the internet as you know, so rather than waste space repeating it here. Have a look for itself yourself and it will be easy to find.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thoroughly enjoyed your comments about the phone @anticpated

This from a not-very-good tech person which I am

I can take it at my level of understanding

Thank you very much for taking time out to do all that you have

camera video_camera tv music radio 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Is there a radio on it?

Apologies for such a basic question

radio

anticpated
  • 3412 Posts
  • 164 Topics
  • 53 Solutions
Yes. Never tried it though.
anticpated
  • 3412 Posts
  • 164 Topics
  • 53 Solutions

The radio works as expected.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you @anticpated ... I listen to the radio a lot

anticpated
  • 3412 Posts
  • 164 Topics
  • 53 Solutions

No IR though, so no spare TV remote. There's a lot to this telephone...

Samsung Galaxy 8, iPhone7 and Sony Xperia's are slightly faster. However this is negligible in real word advantages in terms of using this as a telephone or social media needs. The Snapdragon 821 chipset has enough gusto for Android 7 and 8 when it comes to the LG device.

I spend a lot of time on video chat at the moment (my other half...just so you know OK), and the battery life isn't as bad as the G4 when using this. Due to the improved efficency. The G4 has 6 cores and the GPU and CPU combo wasn't as good for that.

anticpated
  • 3412 Posts
  • 164 Topics
  • 53 Solutions

https://photos.app.goo.gl/YfaImLgLbDAp5bDq2

Some more photos taken in Edinburgh and London. Night photos in Edinburgh and daytime in London in different light conditions.

jonsie
  • 92812 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6909 Solutions

Nice pics 😊

Anonymous
Not applicable

Simply Stunning Bouncy

May I say @anticpated ... it's like I was there ... I don't get out of town much ... & ... these pics are of cities I've visited in the past ... & ... it's lovely to see views of them as they are now 

PS: like your human 'thumb-nail pic' on your avatar slight_smile

anticpated
  • 3412 Posts
  • 164 Topics
  • 53 Solutions

Thanks Jane(?).....

Or is it really Wispa.

One of my favourite chocolate bars until they stopped making them....

Cheers ...

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes it's Jane ... plain Jane ... or, sometimes = Jane the Pain ... = ... Oh dearie me rainbow

& yes, Wispa the chocolate bar ... Wispa was the name of my pevious cat, all black she was lovely ... Cat

My son named her & we both liked the chocolate bar ... fyi Red is my fave colour & lucky 7

They do make Wispa Gold which have a liquid caramel layer on top ... they may be a limited edition though 

Image result for wispa gold images

anticpated
  • 3412 Posts
  • 164 Topics
  • 53 Solutions

Funny my girlfriends mother's cat is called Twix. A strange co-incedence.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes ... a co-incidence & Twix is a nice name

I'm a chocaholic joy