cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Iphone XR: A New Beginning

Anonymous
Not applicable

Here are my thoughts on Apple's Iphone XR which was released alongside the XS & XS Max in 2018.

Inside the box

Iphone XR 

Earpods

Charger

First impressions are that the device is beautifully made & i like the reintroduction of a chunky bezel & feel to the phone, the previous models were getting very thin & could be easily dropped but remedied with the XR. The size of the phone itself is 6.1 inches which is very big for a phone, its a nice size as i like big phones & if they get any bigger they will nearly be as big as an Ipad Mini. Gone are the days where previous models started at 16 or 32GB storage, now they are 64 & 128GB options. I chosethe 64GB as thats the amount i need. What i like about this particular iphone is that Apple have reintroduced the colour system that they did with the Iphone 5C. There are 6 different colours to choose from, i went for my favourite blue.

The phone is all glass & not steel which is what you get with the XS & its bigger brother. its an end to end screen which i really like & as my previous iphone was a 7, its a definte step up & improvement for me. It has the A12 Bionic chip processor inside & runs on IOS 12. There is no longer a physical home button. You tap the phone at roughly the same spot & then up pops Face ID or your password. The phone maybe marketed as the cheaper option which it is but it still has a very premium quality to it. 

The only thing that annoys me is that they still refuse to put the headphone jack back but then if we want this kind of phone & technology then they need to compromise somewhere. 

Face ID

A big new feature introduced to me with this phone. I like the idea, security & thought implementation gone into this, more secure than the fingerprint scanner which i actually never liked. When you set the feature up, you have to face the camera spinning your head until the green ring is full but you have to do it in 3 stages. 

IOS 12

Theres not much i can say here as the ios is generally the same but compared to when my old iphone 7 had ios 12, it is faster & smoother due to the XR having the A12 chip. the design hasnt changed in 6 years so i think its time for another ios redesign. 

Battery Life

Apple claim that the XR comes with yet another improved battery actually according to other reports ive seen saying this battery is better than the ones they use in the XS. So far the battery is rather excellent so living up to the claims. 

Memory

I went for the 64GB version which takes up 8GB of your phones initial memory, on the older iphones that would have been half of youtr phones memory used up before you had done anything.

Camera

The XR has a single camera at 12mp but the addition in software of a portrait mode like you get on digital cameras, the differences here are that portrait mode on the XR is software based where as on the XS & XS Max its actually built into the camera hardware. 

I am very impressed with the look & feel of the Iphone XR, the big screen appeals to me plus the choice of colours opposed to the standard Gold, Silver, Rose Gold & Space Grey. I would recommend this to anyone who wants a futuristic iphone but not as expensive as its own rivals. The only bad points for me are no headphone jack & portrait mode being software only based.

I feel this time that although is a cheaper model, Apple have outdone themselves

13 Comments
Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122384 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Just caught up with this @Anonymous 

Lovely review. Not an iPhone person as you know though I hope you enjoy the phone

Well done mate

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Cleoriff  Thanks very much. It’s an awesome phone. They certainly have improved the battery life as they claim. Although they’ve taken away the percentage numbers but I can see at the moment I’m not even halfway through a charge even though I have been testing lots today such as mobile data, apps, music etc

MI5
  • 143454 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Pull down from top right of screen and you'll see battery % wink
Anonymous
Not applicable

@MI5 wrote:
Pull down from top right of screen and you'll see battery % wink

Thanks & I can now tell you I am still at 71% battery after being off charge for 14 hours 

MI5
  • 143454 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Yeah, the xr is the best of the new ones for battery life.
Anonymous
Not applicable

My quick photos above don’t do the screen or casing the true justice it deserves. It’s a lovely screen & add to the fact I had a glass protector put on it straight out of the box

Glory1
Level 43: Bright Spark
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions

Good review @Anonymous  and am as you know also not an iPhone person. Pleased you love your new phone

Marjo
Former Staff
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

Hey @Anonymous , I'm just catching up after my holiday and spotted your review! Thanks a lot for taking the time to post this, I enjoyed reading it! I'm also thinking of upgrading as I have a 7+ at the moment and I'm itching to have something newer, so your review was very helpful to me. yahoo

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Marjo I highly recommend the XR for a jump up from the 7 Plus. I moved from a 7. It has a screen slightly bigger then the 7 plus. Great battery life better than the XS & XS Max. Smooth, very fast & brightness is ambient True Tone 

Martin-O2
Former Staff
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

Awesome review @Anonymous ! I'm seriously impressed with the battery life and it sounds like a great phone overall! 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Martin-O2 I’ve been using the internet & social media plus music medium usage so far today & still only on 86% battery & took it off charge at 7.30am 

Martin-O2
Former Staff
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

That's brilliant @Anonymous! Almost like the old days of 4 days on one. charge joy

jonsie
  • 92929 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions
Good review @Anonymous