cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Push Notifications - What are your thought?

LukasB
Former Staff
  • 1778 Posts
  • 177 Topics
  • 4 Solutions

Hey guys,

hope you are well. A new week a new question for you guys. This week we want to hear all your thoughts on push notifications. So please pop your thoughts and answers below. We are looking forward to hearing from you. All your input shapes Priority and we are super thankful for all your input.

Shout out loud.jpg

----------

1. What are your thoughts on push notifications? Do you welcome suggestions or prefer to browse in your own time? There are a few areas for discussion below. 
  • I never like to receive push notifications 
  • Only when it’s super relevant to me (e.g. specified in my  in-app preferences) 
  • Depends on the frequency
  • I like hearing broad suggestions as it helps me discover new things. 
  • I’d prefer another channel of communication (e.g. email or text) 

1. Lastly, What are the best and worst examples of push notification you’ve received and why?

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122297 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 19018 Solutions

I mostly turn them off as they are annoying.

Facebook is the worst for it by far. Constant drivel assaulting my phone!!!!

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
OnePlus 6 (O2 & Sfr), Z3 Tablet (Three UK), iPhone 8+ (EE)
Message 2 of 13

TallTrees
Level 41: Prodigal
  • 7893 Posts
  • 70 Topics
  • 139 Solutions
I'm not that keen on them. @LukasB

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 3 of 13

madasaf1sh
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 3852 Posts
  • 27 Topics
  • 906 Solutions
I get so many push notification for work apps it becomes a job just to clear and silence them.

For somethings they are useful such as my personal email, and my travel apps and my garmin, others just get turned off.,
Current Phone: Motorola Razr 5g
I also have a Planet Computers Gemini

I work in IT as an Enterprise Messaging and Collaboration Tools Administrator (Office 365, Slack and much much more) and manage hardware both Mobile and Desktop / laptop, my desk is a bit like PC World

--
We are all customers and dont have access to any o2 accounts

Message 4 of 13

Cleoriff
  • 106433 Posts
  • 790 Topics
  • 5491 Solutions

I never use them. Tried once and was appalled at the amount which came through. Now push notifications are turned off.

*The Game Is On*

Girl in a jacket
Message 5 of 13

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 85864 Posts
  • 592 Topics
  • 4624 Solutions

I loathe them

I used to get them just passing different stores

Now disabled

Message 6 of 13

pgn
Level 55: Good Authority
  • 20203 Posts
  • 158 Topics
  • 254 Solutions

Push notifications? They can push off, not a fan.  SMS by another name, of sorts.

iPhone users went ecstatic over them when Apple were the first out of the door with them, "'cos their calendar could talk to them". Meh.

The worst instance? "NHS COVID-19 Contact Tracing App" that tells you **** that makes your heart race - should only ping you when you have been close to a proven positive case and need to go get a test!

CVD.jfif

WhatIWonNotCS

Who ya gonna call? O2 Social Media (Twitter | Facebook | Instagram)

Message 7 of 13

KatyBurckhardt
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 21 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
I don't mind push notifications as long as they are relevant, such as a reply on a Facebook post or an invitation in a game. I do get annoyed when I get a push notification for things like in game events ending soon or just reminding me I haven't played that day, but for the most part I do find them useful.
Message 8 of 13

liggerz87
Level 20: Radiant
  • 1256 Posts
  • 99 Topics
  • 15 Solutions
I turned it on for a few things but they soon ad up and emd up being irritating so now it's just a matter of time of stopping it lol
Message 9 of 13

gmarkj
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 8040 Posts
  • 87 Topics
  • 515 Solutions
Push notifications - a mixed bag!
They can be useful for some apps (messaging ones normally) but "spam" messages from others is very annoying (games are a big culprit for this).
I think you would need to be able to tailor them individually - so a simple on or off would not work. You would need to be able to choose for things like competitions or prize draws, tickets for gigs/shows, new offers, etc.
Frequency is also key - you wouldn't like to get one every 5 minutes, but maybe once per week is not enough.
The test and trace ones like @pgn highlights are particularly bad - why do you need to know that there is no action? Surely you only need to know if there is something to do?

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 10 of 13