cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

want to leave but o2 have renewed contract without my consent?

alvinbkr
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 7 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Hi new to the forum so I hope its ok to jump straight in and ask a question.

I've been with o2 on the same contract since 2015, wishing to switch to plusnet for their cheaper rolling contract which I can opt out of with 30 days notice.

The problem is that when I paid my monthly bill to o2 on the 23/4/18 they renewed my contract for a further 12 months, I didn't sign anything nor speak to anyone just paid my bill by card over the automated system, which also didn't alert me to saying paying for that month would bind me for another 12 months.

Is this right do I have to pay for the next 11.5 months to escape my contract?

(have my own handset on a sim only deal with o2)

Thanks for any help

Message 1 of 28
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

alvinbkr
  • 7 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 1 Solutions
Update I had a call from AERIAL DIRECT this morning saying they had made a mistake and will cancel my contract at midnight tonight, so lets see what the final bill will say.
This started because I requested a transcript or recording of the call where I renewed my contract with them this year.
I was building a case against them just incase this went further, I started studying their terms and conditions and realised they had sold me a business contract which has different rules to a consumer contract, but my case would have started that they had miss-sold me a business contract as I'm 67 years old and retired thus have no business, surely that would have been enough to get them to drop proceedings ?

Thanks again to everyone who has taken time to read this and share their experiences together we can make it better for everyone to get contracts that suit their purposes.

View solution in original post

Message 19 of 28
27 REPLIES 27

alvinbkr
  • 7 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 1 Solutions
Would I not be able to cancel because of 14 day cooling of period?
Message 2 of 28

Anonymous
Not applicable

@alvinbkr It’s a rolling contract with which you have to give 30 days notice so it will carry on until you give notice. Read this help guide

https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/How-to-Guides/Cancelling-Your-Contract-A-Guide/ba-p/566774

Message 3 of 28

Cleoriff
  • 122927 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7470 Solutions

Once you have followed the cancellation process please allow another month until you cancel your direct debit @alvinbkr Your balance should show as 0.00 on your bill found in My O2 http://www.o2.co.uk/myo2

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 4 of 28

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144359 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27671 Solutions
Just a word of caution with the above. Your MyO2 will not show a zero balance anymore.
You will always see your final bill amount displayed.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 5 of 28

alvinbkr
  • 7 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 1 Solutions
my o2 account page says that the contract expires 23/4/19, but i haven't renewed a thing?
Message 6 of 28

Cleoriff
  • 122927 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7470 Solutions

@alvinbkrThat's because you are on a rolling contract as you haven't cancelled it. 

You need to follow the cancellation process above.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 7 of 28

MI5
  • 144359 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27671 Solutions

@alvinbkr wrote:
my o2 account page says that the contract expires 23/4/19, but i haven't renewed a thing?

It must be an error if you haven't renewed or rcontracted.

Call customer services for help on 202

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 8 of 28

Anonymous
Not applicable

@alvinbkr

@alvinbkr wrote:

Your minimum term has passed so you will continue on a 30 day rolling basis until you cancel as I have said previously  

Message 9 of 28

Anonymous
Not applicable

Not sure that we are on the right lines here.

Refresh customers have the ability to break a 24 month contract, if they pay off the device plan. They can then  get a pac, or give 30 days notice or 'upgrade' to 30 day monthly contract and break that,  or upgrade to another device and plan. This is cos O2 explicitly waive their rights in this regard.

(the economics of why this makes sense are complicated but partially to do with not having to pay commision to the channels and partly around the margins on the kit, which is also why people who buy through a channel aren't on refresh and can't break early, and also to penalise folks who buy through Craphone or the online retailers.)

The case here looks like somehow @alvinbkr may have recontracted to a 12 monthly SIM only monthly contact (which are far cheaper than 12 month currently  5gb/U/U is £16 per month whereas the equivalent 30 day is 3gb/1000min/U is £21. And there is nothing anywhere that I can find that says those contracts are breakable before minimum term which may well be 12 months in this case. 

Or am I misunderstanding how 12 month sim only works?

Message 10 of 28