cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

vat charges but contract states this was included

Anonymous
Not applicable

my contract states i am to pay £42.00 per month which includes any VAT and services but for the past 6 months i have been paying vat . i understand the monthly contract increased to £43.13 but they started charging VAT on top of this every month but my contract which started on 27th november 2013 clearly states that this includes vat ! am i correct in thinking im being overcharged and not what agreed contract states just want to clear this up before i contact them .

Message 1 of 8
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92906 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Monthly bills will always show vat whether business or consumer. This has been the case since vat was introduced and is a legal requirement.

If you take a contract out be it £10, £15, or £20 the inital charge will show on the bill without vat, which is added at the end.

More often than not, extra charges outside your allowances are for mms, calls to 0870, 0845 etc or international texts. These are all subject to added vat.

There should be a clear breakdown of all charges over and above you normal monthly tariff.

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi @Anonymous and Welcome to the forum.

It's always best to make sure your bill is right.

Here is some info.

T&C http://www.o2.co.uk/termsandconditions/mobile/our-latest-pay-monthly-tariff-terms

Consumer tariffs are including VAT.

Business contracts you have to add VAT.

Please take a look at your itemised bill again http://service.o2.co.uk/IQ/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBCGI.EXE?New,Kb=Companion,question=ref(User):str(Mobile),CASE=22383 to ensure any extra amounts are not for services such as MMS charges etc.

I'm sure they wouldn't be making an error of charging VAT on VAT.

However as we are all Customers here like you with no access to your account it makes sense to phone O2 on 202 for official clarification and peace of mind. wink

Please let us know how you get on.
Message 2 of 8

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Are you on a business tariff or standard consumer tariff?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 4 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable

The same thing has happened to me!

I only paid £10 a month which went up to £11.12 but now I'm paying £14.12 every month! I always thought I'd just gone over my minutes but I've just checked today and it's VAT.

They never did this before? Also they've been charging me this VAT for months now without me noticing!  I'm going to call them up, this is not on.

Message 5 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable
Ok well if your sure give them a bell.

Would you let us know how this is clarified @Anonymous
Message 6 of 8

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
£11.12 + vat is £13.34, not £14.12 so it can't be ?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 7 of 8

jonsie
  • 92906 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Monthly bills will always show vat whether business or consumer. This has been the case since vat was introduced and is a legal requirement.

If you take a contract out be it £10, £15, or £20 the inital charge will show on the bill without vat, which is added at the end.

More often than not, extra charges outside your allowances are for mms, calls to 0870, 0845 etc or international texts. These are all subject to added vat.

There should be a clear breakdown of all charges over and above you normal monthly tariff.

Message 8 of 8