cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

using data in the Europe zone

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi I'm currently in Cyprus which is listed in the Europe zone but my data won't seem to work out here, it just keeps saying 'can't connect to network'.

Im on a pay monthly contract so I should be able to use it as I would in the UK. 

Thanks

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122817 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

Hi @Anonymous Hopefully you have data roaming enabled on your account?

Also try making a manual search for different networks and see if that works. If no joy then please give customer services a call https://www.o2.co.uk/contactus

Numbers from abroad are on that link  and its a free call +44 3448090202

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 9

jonsie
  • 93186 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions
O2 are throttling data for contract customers. It could be just to slow to connect. Are you showing a good network signal and have you tried a manual network search to see if another network will give you a better connection?
Message 3 of 9

MI5
  • 144170 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions

Make sure you don't connect to a Turkish network either as that will trigger the old o2 travel charge if you have it or worse if you don't (from a bill perspective).
Data roaming turned on in data settings?
Try texting the word "Active" to 2020 then save and apply the settings that get sent back.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 4 of 9

MercedesS
Former Staff
  • 1192 Posts
  • 17 Topics
  • 18 Solutions

Hello @Anonymous, welcome to the O2 community!

Hopefully you got your network issue fixed by now. Please let us know to see if we can help you more and enjoy Cyprus Wave

Get involved! If a post answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution”.If you are new to the community, please read How to use the community
Message 5 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have the same issue. I am in Greece and cannot access data. The message on the screen says "Could not activate cellular data network. Turn on cellular data or use Wi-for to access data". On my iPhoneSE, Cellular Data is switched on, also Data Roaming. I connect manually to avoid picking up an Albanian network. I have tried several Greek networks and my phone indicates a strong signal each time with 3G. I can receive and make calls and texts but no data. 

Message 6 of 9

MI5
  • 144170 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions
Change your apn to "mobile.o2.co.uk" and it will work abroad.
When you get home you need to call O2 and ask them to change your data package to iData for iPhone, then rest your network settings so the apn is back to "iData.o2.co.uk"
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 7 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you so much, MI5. It works! 

Message 8 of 9

MI5
  • 144170 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions
Happy to help.

Currently using:
Message 9 of 9