Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

using an iphone in australia

confused1
Level 1: Joiner
  • 6 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi. My daughter, who is also on O2 will soon be travelling to Australia, NewZealand and Fiji. She will be away for about 3 months. 

What is the cheapest way for her to use her phone without buying a local sim in each location? I believe that o2's travel option costs £4.99 a day. Is this only on days when she needs to use data or is it this much even to use wifi, texts and to call? 

She needs to be able to call/message uk, phone/ message other uk mobile (she is travelling with friends) and occassionally phone/message local numbers to arrange trips etc. 

As fo using wifi/ data, she would try to use wifi as much as possible but may occassionally need to use data.

Please reply in as simple a way as possible as I am not at all phoe/ tech savvy. Thanks.

Message 1 of 10
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122353 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@confused1

Depending on your daughters tariff she may be eligible for O2 travel Inclusive in Australia and New Zealand.

https://www.o2.co.uk/international/travel-inclusive-zone

If not, then O2 Travel will be available to her at a cost of £4.99 per day IF SHE USES IT.

Neither of these are available in Fiji so she will be paying international rates http://international.o2.co.uk/internationaltariffs/travelling_abroad#

Best advice to be given is....

Use WiFi wherever possible. She can use Whatsapp and Messenger over wifi without cost ...if the people she is in contact with have this same app

Turn Voicemail OFF before she travels.(dial 1760 to turn off. 1750 to turn back on) It will cost her twice if she uses it. Once to receive the call to voicemail and again if she replies to it.

I hope she has a great 3 months abroad. Welcome to the forum Welcome

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 10
9 REPLIES 9

confused1
  • 6 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Apologies for typos!

Message 2 of 10

Meady
  • 16 Posts
  • 7 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Following this. Off to Dubai for 4 months in the summer!
Message 3 of 10

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@confused1 costs for using phone in those countries can be found here http://international.o2.co.uk/internationaltariffs/travelling_abroad 

Some of those countries have the bolt on and the charges only kick in for using actual mobile signal services .WiFi use does not attract the cost.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 4 of 10

Cleoriff
  • 122353 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@confused1

Depending on your daughters tariff she may be eligible for O2 travel Inclusive in Australia and New Zealand.

https://www.o2.co.uk/international/travel-inclusive-zone

If not, then O2 Travel will be available to her at a cost of £4.99 per day IF SHE USES IT.

Neither of these are available in Fiji so she will be paying international rates http://international.o2.co.uk/internationaltariffs/travelling_abroad#

Best advice to be given is....

Use WiFi wherever possible. She can use Whatsapp and Messenger over wifi without cost ...if the people she is in contact with have this same app

Turn Voicemail OFF before she travels.(dial 1760 to turn off. 1750 to turn back on) It will cost her twice if she uses it. Once to receive the call to voicemail and again if she replies to it.

I hope she has a great 3 months abroad. Welcome to the forum Welcome

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 5 of 10

confused1
  • 6 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thank you. That's really helpful. I'll check out out O2 Travel Inclusive.

Sorry for being a bit dumb but am I to understand that the £4.99 a day O2 Travel kicks in for just phone calls regardless of whether or not she uses any data or only if data is used?

Thanks for the voicemail advice.

Message 6 of 10

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@confused1 It’s any mobile signal use so that includes calls, texts or data, but receiving texts don’t, anything else does. 

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 7 of 10

Cleoriff
  • 122353 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@confused1 wrote:

Thank you. That's really helpful. I'll check out out O2 Travel Inclusive.

Sorry for being a bit dumb but am I to understand that the £4.99 a day O2 Travel kicks in for just phone calls regardless of whether or not she uses any data or only if data is used?

Thanks for the voicemail advice.

It kicks in if she sends one text. So thats a very expensive text to send if she does nothing else with O2 travel that day.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 8 of 10

confused1
  • 6 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thank you

Message 9 of 10

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22935 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

@confused1 Local sims and WhatsApp or Messenger over WiFi are a much more economical way of going. £4.99 a day for three months or even for half that amount of time will work out at an exorbitant amount.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 10 of 10