Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

using a data only olan

HWalker1
Level 1: Joiner
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
I just bought a 59gig data chip. It's fircuse in my router to provide internet for my house. It seems to have unlimited calls and texts. How can these be accessed via my router?
Message 1 of 8
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144677 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27732 Solutions

@HWalker1 

You can use calls and you have the wrong SIM for a router. 

O2 will cut you off once the system detects it. 

You need a mobile broadband SIM only.

Any of these https://www.o2.co.uk/shop/sim-cards/sim-only-deals#deviceType=other&contractLength=P12M

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

MI5
  • 144677 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27732 Solutions

@HWalker1 

You can use calls and you have the wrong SIM for a router. 

O2 will cut you off once the system detects it. 

You need a mobile broadband SIM only.

Any of these https://www.o2.co.uk/shop/sim-cards/sim-only-deals#deviceType=other&contractLength=P12M

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 8

HWalker1
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
That is what I asked for when I ordered it from O2 using the phone line and talking to an advisor. I stressed it was for use only on my router, and was told that was what I needed. It's still in the post and I am currently using a different supplier on a different LTE Router.
Will have to speak to customer services and see what they have to say. They said it did not matter if I only used the data.
Message 3 of 8

MI5
  • 144677 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27732 Solutions
Unfortunately they don't know what the are talking about.
It happens all too often these days.

Currently using:
Message 4 of 8

HWalker1
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Thanks for that. I am with Three at the moment, and get unlimited everything on a Pay Monthly contract, includung a free modem for £18.a month. The problem us that their signal is very hit and miss. I live at 1130 feet up in the hills in a small depression. Their signal oasses over me, but as Zi have a 29 foot tall mast and a 25db gain LTE trial that just pokes into it, I usually get a good signal. However , if a horse or a cow gets in the way I lose my signal.
With O2, I did a signal check in my basement on my phone and got a good signal. Good to me means -40 to - 60 dbm. What do you class as good
Message 5 of 8

MI5
  • 144677 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27732 Solutions
Quality is better than quantity. Did you run any speed checks?

Currently using:
Message 6 of 8

HWalker1
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Speed dies not particularly matter. It's reliability of service and actually getting a signal inside my house. The other night I had to stand outside in 4 degree heat to make a phone call using Three. I could not log into the O2 network. But it was the only one available. If it does not work I have 14 days to cancel
Message 7 of 8

HWalker1
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
So after contacting ghem they did not know what they were talking about. Closed my account abd binned the sim.
Message 8 of 8