Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

usage abroad with a Huawei 4g dongle

NAM
Level 1: Joiner
  • 1 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I have a 12 month 4g dongle mifi hotspot dongle that lasts till May. I am going overseas in March. will it work overseas. Including south America

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143190 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27460 Solutions
I haven't proved it yet but we are told that you need to call customer services and have an international bar removed from the account.
By default, they won't work outside of the UK.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 4

darrengf
Level 28: Ingenious
  • 2080 Posts
  • 60 Topics
  • 48 Solutions

Also just to add confusion. 4G is not supported any where roaming with o2, and your Dongle depends on the model may not even support 3G in South America.

South America and USA use a different Frequencies to the rest of the world 3G.

3G in most of the wold is based on 900Mhz and 2100Mhz

3G in South America and USA is 850Mhz and 1900Mhz

and a lot of modems don't support all the frequencies on 3G

Now if you have a Unlocked 4G modem and get a local sim, then that may not even work on 4G as there are over 40 different 4G frequencies and you guessed it,  all countries are different in which one they use, so the modem may not be able to pick the correct frequency up.

its all confusing.

if you let me know the model of the Modem, country I may be able to help more and try to help.

Need Help, Just ask. We are one big Family here in the o2 Forum.
Use iPhone XS Max dual sim, SE, Honor 10, IPad Pro 11, Apple Watch 4 LTE, 100+ Mpbs Barrier and a Record Player.

Message 3 of 4

Marjo
Former Staff
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

Hi @NAM How are you getting on? Did you manage to find out about the dongle working abroad in the end? slight_smile

Message 4 of 4