cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

upgrade scam?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Has anyone else been getting calls from 0843 523 5169 to be told you are elegible for an upgrade? FIVE times i have been called and each time i have asked them to remove my number from their database and STOP calling as i do not want an upgrade! ( i am on simplicity 100 )

Each time the caller still blabbers on asking me to listen to their drivvel and asks me why i don't want a "free phone"!

Each of the callers states they are from O2 but the one on Friday let drop he wasn't from O2 at all but a company that deals with O2/carphone warehouse etc but refused to say what the company name was.

I have complained to the O2 Guru who was as much use as a chocolate fireguard! She did put a note on my account saying NOT to phone me about upgrades though ( i still have the conversation ) and i have since registered with TPS so fingers crossed these calls reduce.

My last call (Monday at 4:10pm) i just said i wasn't the person they were asking for and they 'might' have a wrong number, that did the trick as they ended the call but why should i have to do this in the first place!

Two words come to mind that i would like to say to O2, the second being OFF!

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144711 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27733 Solutions
They don't come from O2 and they don't know who you are - It's just marketing companies trying their luck. I used to get them regularly but I told them it was a business contract paid for and administered by my company and they've stopped calling now.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 10

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

Why do you feel the need to be offensive to O2, wouldn't it be better to find out who is making the calls first?

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 3 of 10

MI5
  • 144711 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27733 Solutions
People find it easy to be rude on a faceless forum. If everyone was forced to use a genuine photo of themselves (like I do :)) I bet attitudes would change. O2 know who they are though wink
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 4 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

just someone having another rant, they'll feel better blaming somebody

Message 5 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable
For your information I did say I was told it was O2 then the guy on Friday dropped it was a company working on behalf of O2 and car phone warehouse etc! My 'abuse' at O2 as u like to put it is because O2 have obviously supplied the company with OUR numbers! Rather than posting just to 'have a go' at me, do feel free to post 'if' you have a proper answer to my original question!
Message 6 of 10

MI5
  • 144711 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27733 Solutions
Honestly, companies can get your number from absolutely anywhere these days. They will tell you they are from O2 because they know you have an O2 contract and they want you to upgrade with them. I could call and tell people exactly the same thing but it doesn't mean I work for O2 or CPW....

Currently using:
Message 7 of 10

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

This is what O2 have to say about companies phoning their customers:

"What to do if you receive calls from companies pretending to be O2

If you've been contacted by another organisation claiming to be O2 and they attempt to upgrade your phone, sell you insurance or take your bank details, please let us know. Some of these companies may sign you up to something you weren't expecting.

We have already taken legal action against companies who have led customers to believe they are calling from O2. Two of these companies were trying to sell mobile phone insurance."

Hardly likely from a company that has given your number away!

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 8 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable
Its been known in the past for these 3rd party companies to buy lists of phone numbers !

I'm x directory at home and these PPI companies still seem to get my number. And I don't enter my home number anywhere online. And I don't give it to street canvassers etc !
Message 9 of 10

jonsie
  • 93253 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

Most of the time the spammers use auto diallers for a range of mobile numbers. Lists of number ranges allocated to networks are available so these scammers have a fairly good idea of the network you are with.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Number_Change

Message 10 of 10