Welcome to the O2 Community

Has your question already been answered? See the community FAQ's

Pay Monthly

Anonymous

unlimited web bolt on and laptop

There is no way to use a phone as a modem without breaking O2's Ts and Cs. I even asked why I can't pay the £20.00 that mobile broadband costs and have it added to my phone plan, but was told that that isn't possible either.

That's not what the Ts and Cs says:

For the data bolt on:
"You may not use your SIM Card: * in, or connected to, any other device including modems;"
But for the mobile broadband bolt on:
"You may not use your SIM Card: 1. in, or connected to, any other device excluding modems/data cards;"
Anonymous

I will copy my reply from another topic as it seems more pertinent to this one (this has been mentioned again in the present topic):
--------

I would like to point out a technicality in O2's T&Cs which can be taken as permissive of using one's phone as a modem:

You may not use your SIM Card:
in, or connected to, any other device including modems

If one uses their phone as a 'bridge' or pass-through to connect their laptop to the internet, then this term is not broken, as the SIM card is not used in or connected to any other device, but remains inside the phone.

Semantically, this term as it is currently phrased means to me that one can't take out their SIM card and put it inside a modem (perhaps a 3G USB dongle).

So, again in my understanding, O2 doesn't specifically prohibit use of a phone as a network bridge (or modem if you want to use this term). I agree of course that they prohibit streaming and anything that would strain the network too much.
Anonymous

If one uses their phone as a 'bridge' or pass-through to connect their laptop to the internet, then this term is not broken, as the SIM card is not used in or connected to any other device, but remains inside the phone.

Is a laptop not a device? You can argue any interpretation of anything if you want to, but would you be prepared to argue it in court if O2 charge you and you refuse to pay?
Anonymous

I don't think either O2 or a customer would let this go so far as a court house. After all, having agreed that said customer would not abuse the network but would only do light browsing and emailing from their laptop, we are not talking about data quantities much higher than using the phone itself.

Using one's phone to connect to the internet, one can send tons of photos by email and visit countless data-heavy websites that don't have mobile alternatives and so rack up huge amounts of data anyway without breaking the T&Cs.

To answer your point, yes the SIM card is not in the laptop. It remains in the phone, not connected to any other device. It's the phone that does the bridging.
Also, the same T&Cs state that before O2 take any action such as imposing further charges, disconnection etc, they will have to contact the customer first, and I assume anyone that were to be contacted in this manner would quickly change their connection habits and avoid further action Smiley Wink

I also would like to repeat myself (from other topics) and say that there is leniency on the part of O2 about all this, as several customers including myself have asked Customer Services about problems using Nokia Internet Radio (audio streaming). The reply we got is that they are aware of streaming problems on their network and are looking into them. I even have their email stating so. Aren't *they* breaking their T&Cs this way?

Like a good man said a long time ago, instead of keeping to the letter of the law one has to understand the heart of the law - and that is simply not to abuse the network by constantly up/downloading on P2P or spending hours talking on VoIP or videochatting on Skype over your O2 connection.
Anonymous

To answer your point, yes the SIM card is not in the laptop. It remains in the phone, not connected to any other device. It's the phone that does the bridging.

That is your interpretation, you shouldn't be stating it as fact. And you haven't answered the point at all. My point is that when connecting your phone and SIM to a laptop, the SIM card could be seen as connected to another device, the device in question would be the laptop.
Anonymous

I would say that the SIM card is connected to the laptop, in my opinion. You physically connect the laptop to the phone, the phone uses the SIM card services and so via the phone you are using SIM card services and so indirectly connected to the SIM card. o2 use the word 'connected to' as a generalisation here, to me that would cover direct and indirect connections and therefore make it against the T&C! Just my opinion..
Highlighted
Anonymous

Thanks supergtaz, that's my intention, to see how others interpret this phrasing Smiley Happy