cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

two country use

Anonymous
Not applicable

I currently have a pay&go account and have upgraded my phone from an ancient voice mobile to a 4g phone. At home I'll use wireless for data, but when travelling in Europe will want to look at maps - I drive from England to Italy twice a year. With O2 Travel it looks like I get unlimited data with a monthly contract, but only 100MB with pay&go. Is this true? And does anyone know of a better contract for sudden infrequent bursts of large data usage? 

Message 1 of 37
36 REPLIES 36

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93177 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

@darrengf wrote:

@MI5 We reserve the right to terminate your use of O2 Travel, if you are, in our reasonable opinion, in breach of your terms of service.  Trust me o2 can and will remove it.

Any how I'm of back to Dublin in Feb some time for day visit (Got to love Ryanair😜)

But I will be taking with me a o2 Payg sim to see if restrictions are applied to o2 travel on that,  I'm just curious that's all.  

You wouldn't think so but this is O2. ....

Message 21 of 37

darrengf
Level 28: Ingenious
  • 2080 Posts
  • 60 Topics
  • 48 Solutions

@jonsie yes I'm hoping they don't to be honest. I was only in Dublin 2 Weeks ago and forgot the sim.  But will hopefully remember it next time.

i just wish o2 would relax some of the restrictions abroad as for me in the uk they are a great network.  I even got 4G in a new place over the new year, so they were still working then.  

Need Help, Just ask. We are one big Family here in the o2 Forum.
Use iPhone XS Max dual sim, SE, Honor 10, IPad Pro 11, Apple Watch 4 LTE, 100+ Mpbs Barrier and a Record Player.

Message 22 of 37

MI5
  • 144166 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions

So what are the "terms of service" they refer to exactly please?

Edit: Found them now thanks.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 23 of 37

MI5
  • 144166 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions
I've found these http://www.o2.co.uk/termsandconditions/mobile/archived-o2travel-paymonthly-terms-and-conditions which are out of date @Toby so need removing or updating.
These refer to the old travel service.
Where are the new ones?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 24 of 37

MI5
  • 144166 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions
OK, found them now as linked to earlier http://www.o2.co.uk/termsandconditions/mobile/o2travel-paymonthly-terms-and-conditions
The way I read it regarding data use is that you will be slowed even further if you (manage) to exceed 150mb a day, but not removed from the travel service?
Can you confirm please @Toby ?

Currently using:
Message 25 of 37

jonsie
  • 93177 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

The point is that even before its slowed down, in some countries O2 Travel is unusable and does not do as advertised. 

Message 26 of 37

MI5
  • 144166 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions

Not discussing or disagreeing with that at all jonsie.
What is important is the advice we give to other customers.
Darren's statement is in direct contrast with the advice we give about data amounts. It also goes against the o2 T&C's which state "no restriction on data usage" and therefore needs clarifying.
It is also important to me as I use it a lot and do not wish to be kicked off.

Currently using:
Message 27 of 37

jonsie
  • 93177 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

Yes I can understand that....I've not been in Europe for a couple of years but can only go off peoples' findings and experiences. I know my experience is far from satisfactory so hopefully @Toby or @Martin-O2 can get the some clarification.

Message 28 of 37

darrengf
Level 28: Ingenious
  • 2080 Posts
  • 60 Topics
  • 48 Solutions

I would love some Clarity on o2 travel. But these are my findings and also speaking to o2 high level team as well.

o2 travel offers unlimited data

o2 will restrict the data speeds from the word go 0.35Mbps up and down

o2 place a 2nd restriction on at 50mb or near enough 0.10Mbps up and down

3rd restriction is at 100mb (Not that I've ever used that much)

last restriction is at 150mb which it's slowed to point of no return. 

O2 travel never claims what the speeds you will ever achieve, it's says first 50 Mbps for streaming,  it never works from the first 1mb for me or other people that complain on here.

O2 have access to both 2G and 3G networks. Restrictions are applied to 3G networks from my findings.

Tesco mobile have no restrictions at all.  Three in Irealand with Tescos 7.2Mbps down and 1.3Mpbs up

o2 same network same type of handset same time, 0.35 up and 0.35 down Mpbs

No 4G access as no point as speeds are too slow and would prob damage the away network useage.

All evidence given to customer care and high level.  Every time they come back and say it's not o2 that restrict it, it's always the foreign network and the networks must be busy.

thats 20+ Eu networks in 7 different countries. They are all very busy and only ever give me 0.35Mbpd up and down,  mmmmmm I think not.

Escalation in o2 comes back with no answers, just that o2 never claim or boast of speeds when abroad and there disclaimer says networks speeds overseas may be slower than of home.

So there you have it in Black and White.  In terms and conditions, written on website and so on, o2 have covered them selves from top to bottom in saying we can do what we want and that's it.

but please feel free to tell me otherwise,  im of to Ireland again and soon and the speeds will still be none existing capped at 0.35Mps up and down for the first 50Mb and then lowered after that.

Need Help, Just ask. We are one big Family here in the o2 Forum.
Use iPhone XS Max dual sim, SE, Honor 10, IPad Pro 11, Apple Watch 4 LTE, 100+ Mpbs Barrier and a Record Player.

Message 29 of 37

MI5
  • 144166 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions
Hi Darren
I was never disputing or questioning the speeds caps. That is accepted as fact and proven many times by many of us.
The point I am seeking clarity over is the fact that you stated o2 will stop the use of the travel service if you exceed 150mb a day, yet they quote "unlimited data" everywhere in the advertising.

Currently using:
Message 30 of 37