cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

travelling abroad URGENT

Anonymous
Not applicable

am travelling to thailand before the out of europe O2 travel comes into force. should i do a bolt on? i expect to have wifi only sometimes but will want to use my data to message home daily. unlikely to text or call. 

Message 1 of 8
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92909 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions
Travelling to thailand is expensive on O2 and the out of Europe Travel isn't relevant here. No bolt ons are available from o2 as they are for use only in the UK.
I now live in Thailand and have a local simcard with DTAC in my unlocked phone and use the TU app for my contract allowances.
I pay the equivalent of £8 a month for a good data allowance from which I tether my TabPro.
Wifi is plentiful and always free.
My advice would be to switch off mobile data completely unless you get a local sim which are aviable in any 7-11 store.
Using an o2 simcard then data is an obscene £6/MB.

Have a great time, Thailand is an amazing country.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

jonsie
  • 92909 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions
Travelling to thailand is expensive on O2 and the out of Europe Travel isn't relevant here. No bolt ons are available from o2 as they are for use only in the UK.
I now live in Thailand and have a local simcard with DTAC in my unlocked phone and use the TU app for my contract allowances.
I pay the equivalent of £8 a month for a good data allowance from which I tether my TabPro.
Wifi is plentiful and always free.
My advice would be to switch off mobile data completely unless you get a local sim which are aviable in any 7-11 store.
Using an o2 simcard then data is an obscene £6/MB.

Have a great time, Thailand is an amazing country.
Message 2 of 8

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

looks like changes are afoot and after the 14th july options will exist for o2 travel outside of europe http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Welcome-News/New-changes-to-O2-Travel/td-p/980873

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 3 of 8

jonsie
  • 92909 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

PhoneChanger
Level 30: Meditator
  • 1343 Posts
  • 65 Topics
  • 101 Solutions

@jonsie wrote:

But not for Thailand. ...

Thailand is in the list, £4.99 per day (bit steep price mind....)

Message 5 of 8

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
We've discussed this to death on another thread already !
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 6 of 8

jonsie
  • 92909 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions
Just noticed it on the list...may just give it a go to see how it performs.
Message 7 of 8

evantkh
Level 6: Acolyte
  • 366 Posts
  • 34 Topics
  • 3 Solutions

I discourage the use of data roaming because roaming often uses IP network of home mobile network so it causes a high latency and unresponsive web pages. I suggest you check if there is any local SIM available for visitors.

Message 8 of 8