transfer sim only Plan to someone new

Butch
Level 1: Joiner
  • 8 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi All

Quick question in case anyone has prior experience of this

I pay for a Sim Only plan for DD who is now old enough to have a sim contract in her name. 

My Question is could this Sim Only plan be transferred into here name and give her the responsibility to pay the bill and thus build up some form of credit record

I assume she would need to pass a credit check and as she has no credit record and currently no job may need to pay a deposit , does that sound right?

Also the current contract has approx 9 months left on it - If the above was possible I assume I would need to pay this off first?

Many Thanks

Butch

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144144 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27623 Solutions

@Butch 

It would require a new contract with the appropriate credit checks so best done when the contract has run it's minimum term to avoid fees.

The number can then be transferred to the new contract.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 7

Butch
  • 8 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks for confirmationMI5.

thats what i was expecting but thought might as well ask check

Butch

Message 3 of 7

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23044 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3674 Solutions

@Butch It can be done, as @MI5 has suggested, but it sounds a bit like putting the cart before the horse. With no job, how would she expect to pay the monthly tariff? O2 are ruthless when it comes to contract payments, even sim only. You only have to scroll through the hundreds of posts recently from people who have been disconnected for non-payment. Many of those will also have their credit rating affected by this. Best to wait until some kind of normalcy returns, and she can get a regular paying job to be able to establish a line of credit before taking a contract for anything.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 4 of 7

Butch
  • 8 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi Bambino

Thanks for replying

To be honest none of this would be happening until I was out of contract on the number and we are at some sort of normality with regards going out and about.

She does have money from when she was working and would have enough to cover the cost of the sim only plan and any potential deposit required.

If need be I would just put the money in her account to cover the cost of the Direct Debit/Deposit its all about her making the first steps into getting a credit record on file for the future.

I understand about having a job before doing anything but in the current climate that maybe a while sadly.

I would like to help her to start the process of getting a credit record now and her understanding the importance of managing her money well.

Butch 

Message 5 of 7

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144144 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27623 Solutions

Hopefully there will be more normality within the next 9 months @Butch 

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 6 of 7

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23044 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3674 Solutions

@Butch I understand. It's a very generous gesture on your part, and it's great that you're trying to give her a leg up. I hope you can get this sorted soon, but I would hold off until there's some light at the end of the tunnel, and that it's not another train coming.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 7 of 7