cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

tariffs/sms/emojis

Anonymous
Not applicable

So i am on the text and web tariff and i burn through texts then end up eating the £10 credit i have because of emojis so ive decided to move to the £15 big bundle and i was wondering if sending emojis on texts would charge me extra or just eat a few more of the 2000 texts? just to add im using an iphone 5s and wont be sending texts over imessage or whatsapp 

thanks for any help or advice 

Message 1 of 25
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 124146 Posts
  • 828 Topics
  • 7513 Solutions

Hi @Anonymous Any emoji's sent via text will eat up your allowance. They usually take up to 90 characters of each text. Many will convert the sms to mms.....Take a look at this help link

http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Other-Products-Services/Accidental-MMS-Sending-and-How-to-Avoid-it/td-p/689503

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 25
24 REPLIES 24

Cleoriff
  • 124146 Posts
  • 828 Topics
  • 7513 Solutions

Hi @Anonymous Any emoji's sent via text will eat up your allowance. They usually take up to 90 characters of each text. Many will convert the sms to mms.....Take a look at this help link

http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Other-Products-Services/Accidental-MMS-Sending-and-How-to-Avoid-it/td-p/689503

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 25

Bambino
Level 85: Esteemed
  • 23475 Posts
  • 1034 Topics
  • 3744 Solutions

What you say you're not using to send texts is what you should be using, if you want to avoid charges.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 3 of 25

Anonymous
Not applicable

so @Cleoriff if i top up £15 pound then o2 take it off me for the big bundle and i send a text with emojis on it will take 3 texts off me instead of one? because someone from Customer Support told me i'd get charged when i wont have any money on my phone so im really confused right now

Message 4 of 25

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Bambino sorry i don't really understand how you've phrased that?

Message 5 of 25

jonsie
  • 93262 Posts
  • 610 Topics
  • 6985 Solutions

Set your phone to warn you if converting texts to sms in the settings or disable mms completely. 

You are normally allowed 480 characters and spaces before a text is converted. The first emoticons counts around 90 characters with each one after counting two characters. 

If there is no credit on the phone a converted text will not send, you will just get an error message.

Message 6 of 25

Anonymous
Not applicable

@jonsie do you know how to get an iphone to warn you if it will convert an sms into a mms? because i dont think it has that option, aso i have disbabled the mms setting in the iphones settings itself but it still sent them

Message 7 of 25

Bambino
Level 85: Esteemed
  • 23475 Posts
  • 1034 Topics
  • 3744 Solutions

It's very simple, @Anonymous. You can send texts using iMessage to other iPhone users or Whatsapp over WiFi for free. So why aren't you using them? 

http://www.apple.com/uk/ios/messages/

https://www.whatsapp.com/faq/en/general/20965922

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 8 of 25

Anonymous
Not applicable

well @Bambino because quite a few of my friends arent using an iphone (not everyone does!)  and a few dont always use whatsapp as it eats their data, which leaves normal sms texting as the only option

Message 9 of 25

MI5
  • 146726 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28245 Solutions
There is no 3:1 texts for MMS on the big bundles anymore. That was part of the old legacy tariffs only.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 10 of 25