cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

swap sim cards

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi all,

Currently i am a pay monthly customer and recently my phone was broken.  That has my pay monthly sim card in.

Yesterday i purchased a cheap smartphone from o2 and it came with a payg o2 sim card.

Is their anyway to swap the sim cards.  I dont have access to my pay monthly sim so wanted to swap it so i have access to it in my new cheap phone.  I have been told i need to cancel my contract, i dont want to do that just swap the sims.

Reason i ask is because i am in Germany until the end of the week and dont want to keep topping up a payg phone.

To be clear i just want to swap my sim over, my exisiting sim details but in a new phone.  Not cancel my contract and go onto payg.  Surely this is the same as when you get a replacement sim card, you give them the sim card number and they take an hour to update it on the system??

Thanks

Matt

Message 1 of 9
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
You can use the current pay monthly sim you have when you get back home.
Just use a sim adapter if it's too small for the phone you have just bought.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 9
8 REPLIES 8

Cleoriff
  • 122354 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Yes you will do it using this link @Anonymous. I

http://swapmysim.o2.co.uk/

Though if you are close to an O2 store it may be easier to pop in there..

Edit. I have just noticed you are abroad so this may create a problem. You should try contacting CS (or wait till you get back to the UK)

http://www.o2.co.uk/contactus

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks very much for the quick reply.

Although i've been on live chat for a long time and they tell me otherwise, they said its not possible as its a payg sim card.  Surely a sim card is a sim card and you can upgrade transfer any sim card?

Message 3 of 9

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions
Just go in store if possible, they will do it on the spot and less can go wrong.
I think it needs to be done via official route anyway as original sim is non functional
Message 4 of 9

Cleoriff
  • 122354 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks very much for the quick reply.

Although i've been on live chat for a long time and they tell me otherwise, they said its not possible as its a payg sim card.  Surely a sim card is a sim card and you can upgrade transfer any sim card?

No sim cards for contract phones are different. Apologies I edited my first reply as I realised you were in Germany...(which is why it would be better to leave it till you get back to the UK)

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 5 of 9

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions
As did I, not read you are in Germany til end of week.
Apologies
Message 6 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

No worries, thanks for the quick replies.

I'll just top up this payg sim and sort out when i'm back...could be an expensive week 😞

Thanks

Message 7 of 9

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22937 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

If you're needing to use data, try using WiFi as much as you possibly can. I don't know what German public WiFi is like, but I would imagine it would be pretty good.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 8 of 9

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
You can use the current pay monthly sim you have when you get back home.
Just use a sim adapter if it's too small for the phone you have just bought.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 9 of 9