Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

service

Simmonumber1
Level 1: Joiner
  • 1 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Why is it the data and signal goes inside football stadiums. When Virgin was with EE, I never had this problem

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 147415 Posts
  • 637 Topics
  • 28316 Solutions

@Simmonumber1 

Simply due to the number of people connected to the nearest mast.

EE have repeaters in lots of stadiums, way more that O2 do.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 2 of 8

Oxonian
Level 32: Blockbuster         
  • 7860 Posts
  • 157 Topics
  • 25 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:

@Simmonumber1 

Simply due to the number of people connected to the nearest mast.

EE have repeaters in lots of stadiums, way more that O2 do.

Wembley Stadium is, of course, sponsored by EE ; would be quite embarrassing for them if the signal therein was not tip-top !  👍

Message 3 of 8

MI5
  • 147415 Posts
  • 637 Topics
  • 28316 Solutions

Indeed

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 4 of 8

madasaf1sh
Level 77: Grand Master
  • 10764 Posts
  • 58 Topics
  • 3110 Solutions

BT Put lots of infrastructure into stadia, due to deals with the football clubs, and to help with their Sports TV Broadcasting now TNT Sports, so put up lots of femtocells and have dark fibre into a lot of them... so other networks have to rely on outside masts... 

Also its a long time since VM was with EE, as they have been to Vodafone and then over to o2 since then....

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 5 of 8

Oxonian
Level 32: Blockbuster         
  • 7860 Posts
  • 157 Topics
  • 25 Solutions

@madasaf1sh wrote:

BT Put lots of infrastructure into stadia, due to deals with the football clubs, and to help with their Sports TV Broadcasting now TNT Sports, so put up lots of femtocells and have dark fibre into a lot of them... so other networks have to rely on outside masts... 

Also its a long time since VM was with EE, as they have been to Vodafone and then over to o2 since then....

I assume @madasaf1sh that such stadia have one or more private networks for the use of the media, the club's own streaming services and the like ; with those networks not being visible to mere supporters ? 

Message 6 of 8

MI5
  • 147415 Posts
  • 637 Topics
  • 28316 Solutions

Most likely satellite uplinks.

Message 7 of 8

madasaf1sh
Level 77: Grand Master
  • 10764 Posts
  • 58 Topics
  • 3110 Solutions

They only get one or 2 dark fibre installs into the Stadia and these are then routed to a POP usually the closest Data Centre, the networks they use in stadia are separated by VLAN's on the switches, so the can have a VLAN for Public Mobile Access and one for Stadia IOT Devices, and then another for Broadcast... and Satellite Uplinks are a lot more expensive than dark fibre connections, hence the use of them... 

I have gone through this on some locations where we have setup events, which have in excess of 100K people per day with multiple broadcasters... as well as corporate and vendors... 

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 8 of 8