Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

scammed on topup

Anonymous
Not applicable
Warning: danger topping up by phone
I have had a nasty experience.
I have o2 broadband, happy with it and so I got o2 pay as you go for my partner. Around 18th December I topped up from her phone £10.00 the only time I have ever done it.
Now I have been informed by my bank that my card has been scammed and they are dealing with it.
I have only ever used my card for buying petrol and shopping at the supermarket.
My bank statements shows that my card was used to top up 18 December for
£30.00 (not ten) and also four times on the 22nd December top up Vodaphone £20 each time and again o2 topup £10.00 24th December.
The scam all involve top ups
My bank is returning the money taken, but this is to point out the perils of topping up by phone, far safer to go to the shop.
Guyos
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions
search these forums you card will have been scammed elsewhere. As well as other needed information.
see this long thread viewtopic.php?f=16&t=10696
iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 2 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable
That excuse still does not explain this bit:
My bank statement shows that my card was used to top up 18 December for
£30.00 (not ten) and also four times on the 22nd December top up Vodaphone £20 each time and again o2 topup £10.00 24th December.
I only topped up for £10.00 on 18 December, got confirmation text for £10.00 credit, so why does my statement show £30.00. If o2 would only cooperate with us victims, and not make lame excuses, more of these scammers would be brought to book. However the security people are dealing.
Poor show
guyos
Message 3 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm afraid I don't understand your logic at all.
In order to do a top-up they need to have all of your card details and your address. So you definitely have a problem with securing your card details.
You are trying to blame the place where they used your details and not the scammers or your own security. Vodafone, O2 and all the other phone companies have their systems vetted by the card processors. The card companies perform an authorisation for every transaction. So they scammers have sufficient information from you to pass that.
Message 4 of 10

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions
It has nothing to do with how you topped up, your card has been compromised and needs to be cancelled and re-issued which is what your bank is doing, more here:
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=10696&hilit=o2+fraud
To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 5 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable
prking
my logic is simple - I ask the question why is it that I topped up for the first and only time on December 18 for £10.00 and my credit came through for £10.00 but my statement shows £30.00 deducted? I can't be any plainer than that.
Maybe the news media like the anti scam programmes on the TV
will understand my logic better, I am far from satisfied. Its not the cost, I will be refunded, it is the principle.
guyos
Message 6 of 10

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions
I hope your bank has cancelled the card and issued a new one or else it will continue.
iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 7 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable
prking
my logic is simple - I ask the question why is it that I topped up for the first and only time on December 18 for £10.00 and my credit came through for £10.00 but my statement shows £30.00 deducted? I can't be any plainer than that.
Maybe the news media like the anti scam programmes on the TV
will understand my logic better, I am far from satisfied. Its not the cost, I will be refunded, it is the principle.
guyos

I still don't understand your logic. They used your details with O2 and the charge was posted to your account on the same day as the genuine charge. There is nothing untoward there that would flag up a warning sign. Many people top up more than one handset. The card companies allow 2 accounts to be topped up from the same provider.
You need to find out how the scammers are getting your details. Every delay, while you try to blame people and organisations puts you in further risk.
You should report the fraud to your card company, and conduct a thorough review of your card security. For example, garage and petrol station transactions are high risk.
Message 8 of 10

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92917 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions
Are you saying that the £10 top up you made on the 18th was charged at £30 but that there was no separate charge on the !8th for £10 on your statement? If so then I would find that a little strange but as you have been advised, your bank will cover any fraudulent charges and you should have no further problems with a replacement card.
Card fraud is common place now and all networks have this sort of problem.
However, I have had many instances in my job with fraud on both debit and credit cards but petrol stations are by far the most common source of card cloning. The fraudsters have not only got your card details but also your address and postcode from somewhere.
There have been many instances posted on the forum of phones being barred whilst the O2 fraud team investigate possible fraudulent transactions on the account so don't think that they sit back and do nothing. They do liaise with the banks and run in-house investigations if necessary.
Card fraud will never stop but everyone can help reduce this by being extra vigilant with their card details. That isn't a criticism aimed at you but it is common sense for everyone in todays society.
Message 9 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable
There was only one charge shown and one top up for the 18 Dec. and the two do not tally.
I would think o2 could check back the records to prove me wrong.
I was charged £30.00 for £10.00 credit.
It was my card company that notified me of the problem, and they have since issued me with a new card, They are investigating the matter and will hopefully trace the culprit. As for my card I do take great care of it, and rarely use it, this is the first and only time I ever used it to top up my wife's phone, my own phone is on contract.
I mentioned the matter on here not to solicit any recompense, but just to make it known that there can be a problem when you top up from your mobile.
guyos
Message 10 of 10