cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

sat nav costs on a nokia n95

Anonymous
Not applicable
sorry i bet this has been asked before but ive had a nosey around the forums and i still dont find a clear answer. Does anyone know if there is a cost of using the sat nav on the n95 and if so how much.
Cheers
daz
12 REPLIES 12

Anonymous
Not applicable
so if you just use the nokia maps application then nokia charge you (via your 02 bill)? Talk about hidden charges! I have a 5800, which nokia maps came preinstalled on. Im new to modern mobiles with GPS, and thought that this was a free service (i.e. you're out and about and you just check the map to see where you are).

Im a little confused - Am i being charged because it is like an internet application using the GPS to tell me where I am and am being charged data costs for trangulation?

Anonymous
Not applicable
The GPS on the N95 and other modern phones is an A-GPS, or Assisted GPS. This means it works much better if it can access a data connection. If it can't, it will still work, but it will usually take longer to find your position when you start it up.

If you allow it to use the cellular data network, you'll be charged for using data unless you are on a Web Bolt-On. The current tariff is maximum £1 per day of data use if you're not on the Web Bolt-On.

If you just use the GPS without a data connection, you won't be charged anything. Nokia Maps' navigation does cost money as mentioned in the posts above, but you can just use the maps without the navigation functionality for free.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for the explanation. So i guess that if i log in to my (or a free) wifi hotspot to access positional trangulation via the internet then i will not be charged?

Jason