cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

re-navigating networks

Anonymous
Not applicable

I am a complete novice and am trying to get my new iphone 5 to work on o2  pay ag you go but get my computers system to allow my use of my network, stupidly on different systems and differing security ,ie win/7 security live essentials, network is BT home hub... now o2 carrier is the only one to use micro sim on iphone 5 (i've since found out) everytime I try to send a text to make my account woking on phone it says can't deliver.

Please can someone help, bearing in mind I am disabled and as a new user to iphone (infact only ever sent 3 texts in my life) so my comprehension level is very bad .

Sorry I am not able to be more helpful in what is exactly stopping my texts getting through

Message 1 of 11
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

if you have a 30 pin lead you need this adaptor http://store.apple.com/uk/product/MD823ZM/A/lightning-to-30-pin-adapter

Glad to here I was on the correct line of thinking.

I hope you enjoy your new iphone5.

What tariff are you on as there are those that still only require a topup when you need to.

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 11
10 REPLIES 10

Liquid
Level 44: Clearly Talented
  • 5942 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 305 Solutions
Hello Alexander welcome to the forums:)

Forgive me if I cause offense but I'm struggling to understand the issue at the moment. Please correct me if I'm wrong;

1)You have a PAYG iPhone 5 on O2 which isn't connected yet?(eg you can't make texts or calls yet?)

2) you want to also connect the iPhone to your Internet service from bt?

Just for future refrence all iPhone 5s use a nano sim which is decided by apple. O2 don't have a choice.

Hope I haven't misunderstood and I hope you can help me to help you:)
Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you’re wrong. So Ive been told wink
Message 2 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable

part of what i can make out sounds related to imessage

Message 3 of 11

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93229 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6976 Solutions
Message 4 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'll try and explain but I am disabled due to head injury and am very slow on up take. that said, Iam connected, but when activating it from home using o2 micro sim all that comes up in networks is my ip provider BT ,and in settings there is no network that says 02, only bt wifi and bt fon (as thats my provider) but can't put 02 network on my phone and as it is micro 02 won't allow acess and vice versa so how can I put 02 in my network list, i do get a text in and i can phone, but I'm very poor and can't keep loosing £'s on data charges thank's everyone and excuse my outburst yesterday as i get very frustrated

Message 5 of 11

adamtemp64
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

Ok I think I have understood the issue

1 In wifi networks you will not see o2 unless you are near an o2 shop or one of the wifi hotspots that are provided by o2-wifi to shops cafes etc. download the o2-wifi app from the app store and setup an account in the app then when near a o2 wifi hotspot you will automatically connect.

2 As you do not have a data bolton and want to stop data charges turn cell data off settings> general> mobile data or cellular data> slide to off. that will stop the £1 a day data charge.

Have I interpreted your issue correctly.

If not I would suggest going to an o2 store and ask them to help you set the iphone 5 up.

Apple Watch series 4
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 6 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable
Do you mean to input your router password, click bt fon which is your Internet provider then there should either be the password on ŷhe side of the router or a card that you were given with the network key, type that in exactly as it is written
Message 7 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yep you have hit it on the nail, the sad thing is the girl in the shop where I bought the micro sim card asked to set it up for me but Inever had the phone with me, and as I have only ever used a mobile when pay as you go was what it said, you never had to top up till you used up your balance, and since then I've only used my BT supplied mobile but it is too old so I bought the iphone 5 without realising what I was letting myself in for, all because my golf's phone connection is an iphone with an older 30 pin adapter, anyway I will go back to shop , one more thing does anyone know if I buy an older 30 pin with the lightening new adapter, I'm worried that there is another adapter and ordering the old one will be ok to put in my car.

Anyone out there know if buying the 30 pin will at least allow me to use it in my car (my iphone that is)

Message 8 of 11

adamtemp64
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

if you have a 30 pin lead you need this adaptor http://store.apple.com/uk/product/MD823ZM/A/lightning-to-30-pin-adapter

Glad to here I was on the correct line of thinking.

I hope you enjoy your new iphone5.

What tariff are you on as there are those that still only require a topup when you need to.

Apple Watch series 4

Message 9 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi  thanks for input, can you say what is best for someone like me as I use phone rarely and text rarely but need it for important appointments as I forget everything minute it is said, also I want to use O2  and maybe change from Bt when contract is up as they are too expensive, and as Itunes has sorted out my music I might buy ipod and put it all under one, less confusing, so until contract is up I want to obviously pay as less as I can but will eventually find whats best with usage over time

Message 10 of 11