Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Standard Rates in our Europe Zone" Bolt on

bexinthecity
Level 6: Acolyte
  • 153 Posts
  • 9 Topics
  • 4 Solutions

So i've only just noticed this bolt on since I upgraded.

Prior to this I had the o2 travel as part of my iphone 7 plus deal but now I have this instead...

Does this mean I will be charged if I use Data/Texts/Phone in Europe such as ROI, Germany when I use data, call a fellow traveller in the country or text/call/email home? 

I have a 30gb unlimited text and minutes package so I am a bit confused as I know the laws for the EU roaming but I have never seen the 'standard rates' in our EU zone thing. 

Message 1 of 12
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143435 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
All explained here https://www.o2.co.uk/help/pay-monthly/roaming-in-europe
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 12
11 REPLIES 11

MI5
  • 143435 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
All explained here https://www.o2.co.uk/help/pay-monthly/roaming-in-europe
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 12

bexinthecity
  • 153 Posts
  • 9 Topics
  • 4 Solutions
Thanks for this - I tried reading the pin on the top of the forum but it didn't specifically mention this bolt on that I could see so that link was very helpful.

My other problem I have is that I will be going to South Africa for 2 weeks next year and I can add the O2 Travel to my account but it says it cannot be used in conjunction with the bolt on I have so it would replace it.

Does anyone know whether I can readd the 'Standard Rates in Europe' bolt on when I come back or am I better off getting a completely different temp sim for SA?

Thanks.
Message 3 of 12

MI5
  • 143435 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
A local SA sim would be by far the cheapest option but you can switch between travel and non travel bolt ons as you wish.

Currently using:
Message 4 of 12

bexinthecity
  • 153 Posts
  • 9 Topics
  • 4 Solutions

Thanks I thought a local sim would be cheaper so I'll start looking a few months before I travel.

Message 5 of 12

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 11995 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1120 Solutions
Two points to note then - make sure your phone (if you are using your current phone) is unlocked to take a SIM from another provider, and that it will also work on the bands/frequencies that that provider uses.

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 6 of 12

MI5
  • 143435 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@gmarkj wrote:
Two points to note then - make sure your phone (if you are using your current phone) is unlocked to take a SIM from another provider, and that it will also work on the bands/frequencies that that provider uses.

@bexinthecity depending on eligibility, you can apply to unlock your phone here https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Other-Products-and-Services/Unlocking-an-O2-phone-to-use-a-different-S...

Currently using:
Message 7 of 12

bexinthecity
  • 153 Posts
  • 9 Topics
  • 4 Solutions
Have requested it to be unlocked as I am pay monthly so might as well.

But how do I check the bands/frequencies?

I normally go to Europe on holiday and when I ventured further out mobile data wasn't really a thing so this is a bit new to me.
Message 8 of 12

MI5
  • 143435 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
SA is the same as UK so won’t be a problem.

Currently using:
Message 9 of 12

jonsie
  • 92919 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Just getting back to the bolt on, that is just telling you that you at some stage opted out of O2 Travel and that you are on standard rates when in the EU or a country that supports O2 Travel. 

Message 10 of 12