Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Anytime Upgrade" from old Simplicity Tariff - odd Live Chat advice

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,

I wonder if anyone can help...

I am on an old Simplicity tariff with the Unlimited Web bolt on (limited to 3G).  I have poor call/data signal at home inside the house, but can just about cope with TuGo, however O2 3G data here in (clearly rural) Brixton is generally appalling (even when I have full signal outside).  I'm prepared to jump ship to Three but before I go wanted to try 4G on O2 since if 4G is markedly better, I might stay.

So, I wanted to switch to a different, 30 day contract to try 4G, but it seems to get anything remotely useful I need to spend £22, and even then it's only 1GB (and no loyalty discount applies it seems).  So I ask on Live Chat, and am told that I can switch to a 12 month contract (much cheaper with a loyalty discount) but since this is something called an "Anytime Upgrade", I can switch back to a 30 day contract whenever I wish, even after one month.

That sounds bonkers.  Can someone please explain?

Thanks,

Simon

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122354 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Morning Simon.

I must admit I have never heard of the Anytime Upgrade. Maybe one of our more senior members could explain?

What I would advise if you are thinking of moving network is to try a couple of other network Payg sims in your phone first. These should be free. Then you can check which one gives you the best signal..

However saying that.. I would be interested to hear if anyone else has knowledge of this Anytime Upgrade?   (Particularly as Live Chat informed you of this) wink

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 5

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22937 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

Speak to Customer Service on 202 from your mobile. You're much more likely to get an answer that you understand.

As far as switching to Three is concerned, they are in the process of buying O2, so you wouldn't be losing out if you switched now.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 3 of 5

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
It is bonkers and most likely incorrect advice (it is live chat after all). You can upgrade from a 12 month SIMO at anytime (which is probably what is confusing the operator) but if you wish to drop down to a 30 day you would have to pay off the 12 month deal first.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 4 of 5

Anonymous
Not applicable
Very odd & likely incorrect & @MI5 is correct about you can upgrade from a SIMO after 12 months as thst is what I did but this anytime upgrade shouldn't be right even though the name seems to ring a bell
Message 5 of 5