cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

phoning/texting from a cruise ship

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have just been on a Caribbean cruise and phned my son and daughter (iphone to iphone) and have just received the bill of circa £100 - is there a cheaper way to phone iphone to iphone (daughter in Australia, son in UK). Thank you for any advice you can give me.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4

Anonymous
Not applicable

yougyouldnr could use Skype, there is an app in the App Store or see Adams post in your duplicate thread

Message 2 of 5

Anonymous
Not applicable
Text or e mail !
Message 3 of 5

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Susanpatricia, 

welcome to the forums. 

Can I just ask a few questions that may help with the why you have got that large bill?

Firstly, I guess you are connected to the Cruise liners Carrier service? Have you checked there costings which can be pretty high.

Do you have Data Roaming switched on as that will again incur costs? Even when you do not thinnk you are using it.

Do you have your voicemail switched on? As calls left on there will be charged to yourself as will the retrieval of that message all at the cruise line carrier service costs. 

Message 4 of 5

ComaChameleon
Level 15: Gaining a Reputation
  • 2233 Posts
  • 24 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Hi.

There is an App called "Viber"

https://itunes.apple.com/de/app/viber-free-phone-calls-text/id382617920?mt=8

http://viber.com/#iphone

It works via Wifi/Mobile internet and you can phone from Viber to Viber for free (it's also avaiable for Android)....

The Quality is lower than normal phoning, but it's for free, so I think everybody can life with that slight_smile

(Additional you can send txts for free there too)

cheers

iPhone 14 Pro Max * 128 GB * Deep Purple * unlocked
iPad Pro 11" wifi * 128 GB * silver + Apple Pencil 2
Apple Watch Series 5 Nike+ (& Series 2)
MacBook Pro 15" 2018 + Magic Mouse 2
Apple TV 4K + HD
Home Pod white + mini

Mobile history:
Alcatel One Touch Easy * Nokia 3310 * Siemens A60 * Siemens SL65 * Nokia 6230i * Nokia 6300i * Apple iPhone 3GS (used) * iPhone 3GS (replaced by Apple) * iPhone 4S (used) * iPhone 4S (replaced by Apple) * iPhone 6 * iPhone 7 * iPhone XR * iPhone 12 Pro Max * iPhone 14 Pro Max
Message 5 of 5