Welcome to the O2 Community

Has your question already been answered? See the community FAQ's

Pay Monthly

Anonymous

palm pre cracked screen

I have had my palm pre for just under two months. It has not been dropped or knocked but has developed a fan shaped crack starting in the middle bottom of the screen. It is not the top glass that is cracked but a layer underneath and so touch screen is not working. I contacted O2 who said take it to my nearest O2 shop. I did that and they said they don't deal with phones from online contracts, got back to customer services who said they would repair it at my cost! Having researched on the net it seems to be a common problem with the palm pre. I told O2 repairs this, they said ring O2 palm pre customer advice, did this and they said get in touch with repairs!!! Just getting the run around. Any comments, ideas or suggestions, very much appreciated!
Anonymous

palm pre cracked screen

I've seen that sort of crack before and it was due to a sharp knock to the screen at the point of the fan.
If you are absolutely certain that you haven't knocked it, then I can only suggest that you write to O2.
The other option would be to claim on your insurance.
Anonymous

palm pre crack

I have looked into this on a palm pre forum on line and it would appear it is a known problem with this particular model, with no obvious reason for it to happen!
Anonymous

Re: palm pre crack

I have looked into this on a palm pre forum on line and it would appear it is a known problem with this particular model, with no obvious reason for it to happen!

My goodness, even on a quick search, I found loads of reported incidents of this nature with this handset. There are several people losing quite a lot of money with insurance excess too. I find it very disheartening that a manufacturer does not throw its hands up straight away in cases like this.

Brummie66, if you are not getting any joy from Customer Service, then call the Complaints Review Service on Tel 0845 3300684 ext 22510 or Fax 0870 6002402. Give them the full facts, offer to send them links to other reported incidents of this handset failing in this way. Don't be fobbed off, clearly a batch of these handsets were defective or there is a design fault. Either way, you have a strong case for the handset being unfit for the purpose.

Good luck!

af
Anonymous

palm pre cracked screen

I can only find people complaining that the screen is cracked and they didn't do it. The same as you get if you search on any touchscreen phone. So I don't think you can make a case for a manufacturing fault. Certainly not without an engineers report. So I would definitely write in the first place. I'm sure they will either want an engineer to look at it or will just replace it.
Anonymous

palm pre cracked screen

[ Edited ]
I can only find people complaining that the screen is cracked and they didn't do it. The same as you get if you search on any touchscreen phone. So I don't think you can make a case for a manufacturing fault. Certainly not without an engineers report. So I would definitely write in the first place. I'm sure they will either want an engineer to look at it or will just replace it.

I am sure we are reading the same things, just interpreting it differently.

The OP's crack has started in the same place as the majority as the many, many others. It is also the same shape.

Whether this is permitted or not, this forum http://forums.palm.com/t5/webOS-Hardwar ... d-p/206830 contains quite a lot of information including other networks apparently acknowledging there is an issue. The OP on that thread reported this issue back in July.

I am also really disappointed that some O2 shops still think they don't deal with repairs from online customers. It seems that the OP is not getting anywhere fast dealing with either CS, hence my recommendation to go straight to the CRS and not to pass go.

I have experienced the runaround myself and have no wish to read of others suffering the same.

I thoroughly recommend the OP collates as many links as poosible and forward them to the CRS. In my opinion, there is enough on the web to show that on the balance of probabilities there was/is a manufacturing defect.
Anonymous

palm pre cracked screen

We will have to disagree. Incidentally, the reason the crack is that shape is because that is how a crack (generated by a knock) propagates through glass. It indicates that as well as the knock there was bending. For example, in a trouser pocket when you sit down. {I studied this at University}
Anonymous

palm pre cracked screen

We will have to disagree. Incidentally, the reason the crack is that shape is because that is how a crack (generated by a knock) propagates through glass. It indicates that as well as the knock there was bending. For example, in a trouser pocket when you sit down. {I studied this at University}

I never studied it at University, but I do disagree with what you are suggesting here.

I was once playing a fruit machine in a "government" building when it suddenly began to shatter. It soon looked like a shattered laminated glass windscreen.

The chap who repaired it said something about tension in the glass and that it was not uncommon.

I for one, am not prepared to dismiss what the OP has said, bearing in mind the plethora of complaints concerning this phone and its "cracking" screen.

Science or not, I am pretty schooled at balancing evidence. From what I have read so far, there is enough doubt about this particular handset for O2 to consider honouring their warranty. Unless of course, we want to suggest that the users are lying or mistaken.

I recall Mercedes Benz denying a couple issues I had with the SLK model. A little research on the Net revealed I was not alone. Despite the initial denials of their experts, common sense prevailed and suddenly I became quite correct.

Brummie66, don't be put off, fight your corner. O2 are a reasonable bunch.
Anonymous

palm pre cracked screen

Thanks for all the response. I can assure you it has not been dropped or knocked in any way. It was on the mantle shelf, perfectly fine(no there was no fire lit) and half hour later it had a crack evident. Just wish O2 customer services would stop playing tenis with me from department to department! I don't have a uni degree but I'm not a liar either!
Thanks to all those who have been helpful.
Anonymous

palm pre cracked screen

Sheepdog, the subject is called Solid Mechanics (or Fracture Mechanics if you are a wannabe American).
Yes, it is often taught as part of an engineering or physics degree (its quite mathematical).

AF, The sort of shattering you describe isn't what's happening here (In basic terms when glass cools there is a tension set up in it). This is a crack, not shattering.

I still say, the best thing to do is write to O2 with the complaint.