Welcome to the O2 Community

Has your question already been answered? See the community FAQ's
Highlighted
Anonymous

overseas charges

I recently spent some time overseas where telefonica have mobile services business. Why then must i pay 6 pounds for data and the other higher rates for calls. Why can i not register with another telefonica company abroad. Can anyone explain why the rates are so high in the first place.
Highlighted
Anonymous

overseas charges

Their rates are that high because that's an area where they can make a lot of profit.

You can buy international bolt-ons for £50 for 50mb, so to be honest, I wouldn't be surprised if the wholesale rate being paid by O2 is less than £1 / MB on average. The rest is just pure margin.

Unfortunately whereas a lot of phone companies compete on free minutes / messages etc, international data costs isn't an area where phone companies bother competing quite so aggressively.

All I can really say is that O2 don't hide the fact that this costs £6/MB, if it's something that's important to you then you should have checked this before getting a contract - it's a free market and you were welcome to take your custom elsewhere if you didn't like the pricing.

If the cost is too much and you're locked in to a contract, then you can consider an international bolt-on, consider not using your data, or getting a local SIM.
Highlighted
Anonymous

overseas charges

Its not like its only O2 with higher international charges.
You need to remember that although they have the same parent company, these telefonica subsidiaries are companies in there own right and have to operate according to the laws and regulatory regimes of their home country.
And its not just mobile companies. If you phoned Sky Italia and said 'As I've got a subscription with Sky Uk, can I watch the football, at no extra cost, whilst I'm here on holiday'. You wouldn't be surprised when they said No.
Highlighted
Anonymous

overseas charges

Agreed that the costs are not hidden. Regardless of whether the user agrees or not with the published rate, in Business one must pay. The point being the cost increase in sending data crossing the channel to Europe or Peking is not proportional to the cost of the hardware required to carry the signal.
Highlighted
Anonymous

Re: overseas charges

Agreed that the costs are not hidden. Regardless of whether the user agrees or not with the published rate, in Business one must pay. The point being the cost increase in sending data crossing the channel to Europe or Peking is not proportional to the cost of the hardware required to carry the signal.

The simple answer is no, the proportional increase in cost incurred by O2 is less than the whacking great £6 / MB charge that you get. It's essentially a moneyspinner for them.