cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

on and on UNLIMITED calls texts 1gb data charges, NOT WHAT IT SEEMS

Anonymous
Not applicable

just signed up to the above tariff last month paying £20.00 a month, only to be told it will go up with inflation to £20.62 in February,still a good deal but never the less still winds me up a bit, but i have just checked my bill and noticed a charge of 70pence on my text messages, so i rang the billing line asking why this charge was applied to my account, i was told i had sent two photos using the MMS text system something that i strongly denied, i asked for the number to which these photos had been sent and i rang my friend to make sure i had my facts right to which he confirmed that he had not received ant such media, i duly rang customer services back to be then told that i had sent a large text message that used more than 3 pages and that the O2 system had counted it as a MMS message and these types of messages were chargable on my account, i explained that i realised picture messages were not included in the tariff that was why i had not sent any, but i was surprised to be told that text messages containing more a certain amount of characters,(to which the amount my advisor was not sure about) would be classed as a MMS, this includes spaces commas etc my advisor told me, SO BEWARE PEOPLE DONT SEND LONG TEXT MESSAGES ON YOUR UNLIMITED ON AND ON TARIFF COS IT AINT UNLIMITED !     

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92906 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

One text message consists of 160 characters including spaces and punctuation. Over that and you go into another text. There is sometimes a feature built into the phone to warn you when a text is going to be sent as an mms.

Message 2 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable

It is a sometthing that comes up a lot on phone forums and they are right that 3 sms messages become the equivalent of a MMS message due to its size. 

Try using WhatsApp as a alternative especially when when connected to Wifi as it is free ( will use data but minimal when not on Wifi) 

Message 3 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable

hi thanks for the info , but a bit miffed that O2 didnt disclose this when i went in the tariff, when i asked the advisor if i coild expect any more surprises such as making a extra long phone call he could not answer, if anyone could let me know i would appreciate it, i am out of work and have a very very tight budget,once again thanks for reply     

Message 4 of 7

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

You are only charged extra if you exceed your limits, I'm puzzled why you were charged extra for a long text.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 5 of 7

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

@perksie

This is comming up in a lot of threads at present.

Some say after 160 it is a mms o2 has no info on its website apart from a 480 max size charged at 3 sms perhaps after 481 it auto becomes a mms unless it is handset defined.

Also affecting group sms in another thread

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 6 of 7

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Disable MMS on your phone if you're not going to use it then there is no chance that your long texts will get charged.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 7 of 7