Welcome to the O2 Community

Has your question already been answered? See the community FAQ's
Anonymous

o2 - worse than the thieves that stole my phone

Unfortunately it is always stated in some small print that the customer may be liable for call charges that occurred before reporting a phone lost of stolen. Under such a clause, it would be up to O2 to either enforce or waive these charges, should they occur.

elom:
Insurance is nobody's 'responsability', it's something you can optionally take and waste your money on, or not, as in many cases these insurers will be able to find something in their labyrinth of T&Cs to claim that they cannot cover a certain incident and compensate you. It is the responsibility of the customer to report a phone lost or stolen as soon as possible, but please don't say it's a responsibility to take out insurance as if insurance were something obligatory or inherently essential. If the OP had been taking out insurance for all the years he's had a mobile phone, they would have spent more money than what a new handset will now cost them.
Anonymous

Unfortunately it is always stated in some small print that the customer may be liable for call charges that occurred before reporting a phone lost of stolen. Under such a clause, it would be up to O2 to either enforce or waive these charges, should they occur.
elom:
Insurance is nobody's 'responsability', it's something you can optionally take and waste your money on, or not, as in many cases these insurers will be able to find something in their labyrinth of T&Cs to claim that they cannot cover a certain incident and compensate you. It is the responsibility of the customer to report a phone lost or stolen as soon as possible, but please don't say it's a responsibility to take out insurance as if insurance were something obligatory or inherently essential. If the OP had been taking out insurance for all the years he's had a mobile phone, they would have spent more money than what a new handset will now cost them.

i love how everyone thinks that T&C's are the enemy, aslong as you read the T&C's you can use them to get the claim if you pay for a service they promise to provied in form of a contract (which would be made up of T&C's) as long as you dont violate them then you get your pay out simples Smiley Very Happy
Anonymous

"I have just been told by those helpful souls in your customer service dept that I have to pay for all the premium rate international calls made from my handset by the thieves before I had the chance to get it blocked"
1. How many hours or days did it take you to cancel it?
2. What were the charges at the end?

The phone was stolen at 2am and was reported and locked by 10am. This would have been quicker had I not had all my belongings, including my money and passport, stolen. I had to make the calls from the British Consulate FOC.

The calls came to about £100. This could have been worse but still quite annoying. The phone was an iphone which was insured so at least I've not had to shell out £342 for one of those.

I still maintain that o2 are being unfair by not waiving the charges. I have been a customer for 4 years and have spent a fortune with this network.
Anonymous

Did you have the phone locked so that after 10 failed attempts it erases the phone ? That way they would have to connect it to iTunes to get it working again.
Anonymous

No, I always saw typing in the code as a pain but in hindsight it's an essential security feature. I have set this up on my new phone.
Anonymous

by andypurbrick on Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:54 am No, I always saw typing in the code as a pain but in hindsight it's an essential security feature. I have set this up on my new phone.

oh well as long as we learn from our mistakes then we continue to grow Smiley Happy
Anonymous

Why are o2 responsible for you being mugged and robbed.This is very sad and I do feel sorry for you but I think I would reserve my anger for the thief who robbed you and stole your calltime running you up a bill.
Anonymous

I agree with the majority.

Its not up to o2 to waive your charges for this.

As its been said the insurance is an optional extra, you dont have to take it, but you did have the oppertunity to do so, which would cover you for the charges you received.

You may think its expensive, some do some dont, i have the Premier Insurance for my iphone, i think its pretty steep, but id rather pay that extra £7.50 per month than fork out a few hundred quid if the worst would happen.
Anonymous

stolen sim time

what if like me your bill amounted to over £5000,i didnt know it had been stolen,i was using a local sim,so much cheaper,and nearly 3 months into my trip the sim was used 24/7 so that over over 14 days before o2 noticed the creeps had knocked up this bill,i had only health insurance,and had tried prior to leaving to cancel my monthly contract to avoid the tarrifs for the 6 months,but was convinced by the o2 rep.that i would lose the number i had used for over 10 years
Highlighted
Anonymous

stolen sim time

the sim was as far as i was aware padlocked in a bag,i have travelled quite a bit and have always been careful and have never had to claim on any insurance,though my insurance essentially only covers me for health,and i had no phone insurance,its pay as you go from now on though.
B