Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

o2 will not unlock my phone

customer4
Level 1: Joiner
  • 8 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
I have spent the last 2 days trying to get o2 to unlock my iphone 6.  Twice I have managed to speak to someone after 30+ mins on hold each time and having the line cut off whilst on hold 4 times.  The 2nd call I escalated to a senior customer service representative to who insisted I had to get Carphone Warehouse to unlock the phone as I had bought it from them.  He even emailed me confirmation of the phone call.  I spoke to Carphone Warehouse and read out the email and the senior customer service representative said that CPW never ulock phones, it has to be o2.  They said they are just avoiding releasing me from their network.   If I respond to the email from o2 I get a message saying that they have turned off incoming emails and to look online for an answer.  

I will post my email to them in the hope someone can respond, if not I will have to take it to the Ombudsman.

Dear Sir

Further to our conversation this morning where you assured me that because I had bought the handset from Carphone Warehouse, on an o2 contract, I would have to get them to unlock it, Carphone Warehouse insist they do not unlock ANY handsets and it all has to be done by the network provider - ie o2.

This also corresponds with what Apple have told me, who replaced the original handset in 2019 as it was faulty.

I have now spent considerable time on this - probably 6 hours over the last 2 days speaking to numerous people at o2, Carphone Warehouse and Apple.  Everyone points back to o2 as having the responsibility.

The IMEI number of the handset is xxxxx, iPhone 6 Plus, serial number xxxx.

I have attached the receipt for this handset from Apple who replaced the last as faulty and the reciept from yourself for the original phone in 2016.  Apple senior customer service advisor has confirmed that Apple never unlock handsets and that even though they replaced a faulty handset, the original service provider o2 has a legal duty to unlock it and can not withhold the unlocking.

I have included below an email from Shane, senior customer service and customer complaints operator at CPW again pointing the responsibility back at 02.

I have been with o2 for a very many years and I think you will understand that I will not accept being told again that I have to speak to Apple or CPW.

I will take this to senior management at o2, social media and the ombudsman if it is not resolved within 48 hours.

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@customer4 

Carphone warehouse phones are not usually locked 

Guide: Unlocking an O2 phone to use a different SIM card 

However, it is possible on older Apple devices.

O2 can still get these released from the network by simply submitting the IMEI number to Apple to whitelist it on the servers.

@O2Waqas should be online who can help you with this.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 13

jonsie
  • 92906 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions
Message 3 of 13

customer4
  • 8 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks for trying to help.  CPW say the phone would have locked to the first SIM put in, ie o2, hence o2 need to unlock me....  slightly feel I am going in circles!

Message 4 of 13

customer4
  • 8 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks for your help.  I have the IMEI and they are happy with my account details, but they say they can not unlock phones that they did not sell.  They say as I bought the handset from CPW, CPW have to unlock it

Message 5 of 13

O2Waqas
Former Staff
  • 139 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 8 Solutions

@MI5 Thank you for the tag,

@customer4 I will send you a private message, so we can look into this further

Thanks 

Waqas 

signature
Message 6 of 13

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@customer4 wrote:

Thanks for your help.  I have the IMEI and they are happy with my account details, but they say they can not unlock phones that they did not sell.  They say as I bought the handset from CPW, CPW have to unlock it

I had this out with O2 on Twitter years ago.

I was assured by them (and subsequently proven) that O2 could and would unlock insurance or replacement hand sets that were locked to the O2 network.

As I said, with Apple, it's very simple. Just an email to Apple with the device IMEI number.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 7 of 13

customer4
  • 8 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks @O2Waqas , I have replied to your message. If you could get back to me.

Message 8 of 13

customer4
  • 8 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks @MI5  for the reply, I'm glad you got yours sorted.  I have the IMEI number, I have the paperwork showing one handset being replaced with the other with all the serial numbers.  o2 does not believe the problem is because the handset was switched by Apple, they are just saying that as the original phone was purchased by Carphone Warehouse they are not able to unlock it, only CPW can.  The problem is CPW says they do not unlock phones and they have this problem alot from o2.  They believe o2 knows that CPW can not unlock phones but just pass people on as they want them to stay locked to their network.  

Message 9 of 13

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@customer4 

It's just non trained advisers unfortunately.

Recently we've had them telling customers they can't have 5g sim cards or that they have to pay £5 a month to get 5g amongst other complete nonsense.

Currently using:
Message 10 of 13