cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

o2 strike a deal with....... The Sun

Anonymous
Not applicable

So 02 have made a deal with the Sun+ to provide services to those signing up on the 4g contract.

I really hope o2 understand what they have done, I for one will not have anything to do with that newspaper or any services they provide and will be leaving o2 very shortly.

Message 1 of 37
36 REPLIES 36

Anonymous
Not applicable

I never used the word 'hate', 'blame' or said anything about their entire staff? You presumed all that. Certainly not going to get into a debate over Hillsborough, especially not on a forum.

I dislike the Sun for far more than just the 'historical' reason, that is one reason I dislike the paper, I've no reason to deny that and I will continue to dislike them (the paper) for that.

I think one of the things the Phone Scandal is bringing to the public eye, in some detail, is the way these papers have been operating - very recently.

My dislike of the gutter press is not exclusive to the Sun, I would find it equally odd if my telecoms company decided to peddle me any of the morning tabloids services, with the political nature and the demographs of each, I am miffed if I am the only one to find it so odd, but never mind, I'm moving to another provider because of it, not asking anyone else to.

Message 21 of 37

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

Certainly not going to get into a debate over Hillsborough, especially not on a forum.

Then why mention it at all?

As I said before it's not compulsory that you have this service and you're free to go and choose any phone provider you like if you're not happy.

Check out a few of the companies that you do business with right now and most of them will have done something similar or much worse and you'll be happily contributing to their profits.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 22 of 37

Anonymous
Not applicable

I am disappointed to see O2 supporting The Sun, a brand synonymous with Page 3 - that little dose of soft **bleep**, added to the paper everyday as though it were somehow an appropriate part of the news. It doesn't happen on daytime TV because of the watershed standards - but somehow because it's a paper it's suddenly OK? It's a real shame to see O2 having anything to do with this company.

Message 23 of 37

Anonymous
Not applicable
They do seem intent to have one PR disaster after another!
Message 24 of 37

Anonymous
Not applicable
Very true @gillsfankev

Someone high up in o2 making big bucks at our expense is not doing their homework properly are they.

The debacle over the price rise was awful timing.

I have no issue with the Sun newspaper myself but I am aware there are many, especially those in and around Liverpool and Sheffield with long memories. *respect to everyone for what happened and the memories*.

O2 need to go on a charm offensive really. Even withdrawing the price increase won't help as the damage has been done and I reality whilst e are seeing much traffic on here How big are the numbers?

That said, try getting through to cancellations at the moment eh? Might explain a few things.
Message 25 of 37

davethorp
Level 21: Regular
  • 1035 Posts
  • 11 Topics
  • 38 Solutions

I still can't understand why this wasn't offered to existing customers. Certainly would have reduced some of the damage caused by the price rise if customers could see they were getting something new for their money. Except those who are against the sun either for the valid reason of Hilsborough or the less valid reason of boobs on the 3rd page

Message 26 of 37

Anonymous
Not applicable
Indeed davethorp that would have helped to mitigate the PR disaster. Of course some customers would argue they didn't want it so why should they pay more (no need for more debate in t&c's please) but it may well have helped to limit the damage.
Message 27 of 37

Anonymous
Not applicable

I've just cancelled my O2 contract for that very reason. My daughters contracts with O2 will be up for renewal and upgrades in March, July and November. Can O2 assure me that they will not be at risk of receiving the soft **bleep**, sexist element of the Sun? Without that assurance I suspect I will be reluctant to continue paying for their contracts.

Message 28 of 37

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi cathmary and welcome to the Community.

I have to say I didn't realise there was still such strong feeling against the Sun although having bought today's Sun on Sunday and find the front page "headline news", you know the biggest story in the world today" was about a married footballer sleeping with a woman not his wife then I see your point.

I know in Liverpool and Sheffield particularly people have very long memories (respect to those affected by Hillsborough).

Before you dive into a new contract please check signal with your preferred provider by using a free payg sim. Don't rely on online coverage checkers. Check the areas you will use your phone in most.

Good luck and please let us know how you get on.
Message 29 of 37

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi piperdog. I'm surprised you didn't realise the strength of feelings against the super, sexist soaraway sun. The no more page three campaign has gained the support of mumsnet (I'm sure many mums will chose not to use O2) the girl guides (another group of heavy mobile users if my kids are anything to go by), teachers unions (all mobile users), nursing unions (mobile users) and a host of popular celebs including Russell Brand. In short many groups who respect women. And the no more page 3 campaign are advertising O2s links to the Sun and therefore all interested groups.

Can O2 tell me why they have chosen to link to such a toxic brand? And can they tell me whether the soft **bleep** element will be part of the app? Given the number of youngsters on O2?

Message 30 of 37