cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

o2 and 4G - Is it a damp squib or egg on face ?

Anonymous
Not applicable

So the big day has arrived, 29th August and 4G is here, or is it? Being an Andriod user (Galaxy S4), I turned off my WI-F to check the speed of my 4G connection having already obtained a 4G SIM which is registered and active. You can imagine my disappointment when my H+ changed to E. What could be wrong I thought.

So a call to o2 resulted in confirmation that 4G is currently unavailable for the Galaxy S4. Software problem I was told, just wait for the patch / software update to fix the issue. Great!

Oh by the way I was told, which tarrif have you chosen. Tarrif I said, I'm paying £37.00 a month now. Surely 4G just comes free? I don't pay easyJet more when they upgrade their planes of South Eastern when they upgrde their trains. No I was told you must pay more around £40:00 for the 4G service that equates to my current 3G, albeit erractic service in South London.

So o2, I have to pay more for a service that's not yet available???? Some launch!

Will seriously review my 4 x contracts when they come for renewal.

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

All despite the fact that all this was on the O2 web site and has been discussed here for months.

It's a shame your first post here wasn't months ago to ask about what is happening with 4G.

Sorry to learn your phone needs a patch though, that's bad luck.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 2 of 9

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

4g is an additional service as it is data only.

Please see other threads like this one http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Welcome-News/4G-Tariffs/m-p/515446#M6649

O2 have always stated you would ned a 4g enabled tariff.

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 3 of 9

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93174 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi sisleyK,

We are all human and often can make assumptions.

Use this as a learning curve to do a little homework beforehand when your interested in something.

It reduces stress and disappointment.

As for the Samsung's 'all singing and dancing' Galaxy s4 not yet supporting 02's 4G network due to a software update patch being needed, is indeed poor if true, and should have been pushed out at least a few days before 02's 4G Launch !

Message 5 of 9

aldaweb
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 1722 Posts
  • 50 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

Oh by the way I was told, which tarrif have you chosen. Tarrif I said, I'm paying £37.00 a month now. Surely 4G just comes free? I don't pay easyJet more when they upgrade their planes of South Eastern when they upgrde their trains. No I was told you must pay more around £40:00 for the 4G service that equates to my current 3G, albeit erractic service in South London.

Actually you would pay more if you wanted to travel on high speed trains, which is a closer analogy. I've gone from £37 as you are on to just £44 for 5 times as much data allowance. However as you are in South London, you may like to know my initial experiences in that area; I found speeds varying from 0 (no network, let alone data, through every step up to 4g around Streatham and back down to Edge before hitting the river and lo and behold across the river fairly consistent 4G. it seems 4G is run by Black Cab drivers wink I was driving so unable to speed test.

@Anonymous wrote:

As for the Samsung's 'all singing and dancing' Galaxy s4 not yet supporting 02's 4G network due to a software update patch being needed, is indeed poor if true, and should have been pushed out at least a few days before 02's 4G Launch !

This should have been rolled out along with the other patches as for the Blackberry Z10, I don't entirely understand the logic of selling a 4G ready phone that has been crippled to not be 4G ready by the carrier.
iPhone 14 Pro (O2 ), S23U (EE), iPad Pro LTE (EE), .

Reviews: iPhone-X-first-impressions ¦ Blackberry Classic ¦ Blackberry Z30 ¦ Nokia Lumia 1020 ¦ Samsung S4 Mini Part 1 ¦ Samsung S4 Mini Pt. 2
Message 6 of 9

PhoneChanger
Level 30: Meditator
  • 1343 Posts
  • 65 Topics
  • 101 Solutions
The patch for the Galaxy S4 is due on Tuesday 3rd September
Message 7 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there, if you can't wait for the patch there is another way to actually use the 4g service even without samsung updating. To do so download Batter monitor widget from 3c on the google play store. once you done that go into the app click test (bottom right corner) then device setting, go down to find set preferred network type. this will give you a list. select LTE/GSM/CDMA auto this with switch all antennas on letting you receive 4G HSPA+ 3g ect if your in range. i have tried it out myself and it works. i guess you can use this temporary. Hope you be happy with the 4g service

Message 8 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

My 4G service really hasn't been great (around the SE1 area tested so far), maximum of two bars of service and more often than not I'm on h+ rather than 4G. Maximum speed test result came in at 31Mbps down and 11.11Mbps up. Biggest upload was 22.79Mbps while the download was 5.97Mbps. Average speed on the two bars of service seems to be around 25Mbps down and 10Mbps up. 

According to the 4G service checker i should have full bars with excellent service. I know new products usually have niggles but I'm hoping that this improves quickly. 

I'm using an O2 Galaxy S4. 

Message 9 of 9