cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

o2 Selling Personal Details

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi All,

I was an o2 customer for many years (and an employee a long time ago), but left them last September to join Vodafone. I ported my number over to Vodafone, and my o2 account was closed. 

When I first started the contract many years ago, I was under 18... so my friend took it out on my behalf, for the basis of this email, we'll say his name was George Smith. 

So... I was the only user of the phone, but it wasn't in my name. 

Over the past few months, I have recieved numorous calls from numorous sales companies, trying to sell me PPI, Loans, Credit Cards.. you name it, I've had it. When they call, they always ask for "Mr George Smith". 

My number and my friends name have never been submitted anywhere, other than my contract with O2. I have no reason to, and my friend certianly doesn't.

That leads me to believe that O2 has sold on my data to these marketing companies. There's no other way my phone number, and his name, would go together on a record. 

Has anyone else heard of this happening?

To my knowledge, I have not consented to personal details being sold on, and always tick the 'Opt Out' box on forms etc. 

Look forward to your thoughts.

Cheers,

Leigh.

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12

Toby
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions

Hi @Anonymous

Sorry to hear that, have you opted out of such communications as @MI5 has suggested?

Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 11 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, I got a Tele-sale call asking for me on my daughter's phone O2 don't want to know.

Message 12 of 13

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

Have you followed the advice to opt out in myo2 ?

also follow the advice here http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Pay-Monthly-and-Pay-Go/Are-you-fed-up-with-spam-calls-and-texts-Follow-... re tps to get removed from the lists etc

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 13 of 13