cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

o2 Refresh - Early Termination Charges

Anonymous
Not applicable

I took out an o2 refresh contract so I could get the OnePlus 3 phone as it was out of stock elswhere. As I only wanted the phone, I paid off the device in full the day I got it and asked for the airtime contract to be cancelled. I got confirmation of this on the phone but no emails (this seems to be a trend based on the rest of my experience). 

A couple of weeks later I am faced with a bill of £14 for the airtime. I was told that at most I would be charged a couple of days worth of airtime from the time I cancelled (£14 / 31 x 2 = 90p). 

I then received a bill for £266.24 a few days later. The bill described this as early termination fees. I called up and was assured this bill would be stopped and I wouldnt be charged the £266.24 on 27th December. I was also told I'd get an SMS to my current non-o2 phone number confirming this. I didn't get one. 

Logging into my account today I can still see the £266.24 bill. I'm wary of leaving this as I don't really want £266.24 taken from my account around the Christmas period. Please help. 

Message 1 of 9
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144170 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions
We can't help as we aren't CS, but I can tell you that you have to give 30 days notice on the airtime so the one month £14 charge is correct.
The other charge for early termination is an error we see time and again on here. It seems that O2's system can't cope with someone cancelling immediately, but you will have to keep onto CS or raise a complaint to get it resolved I'm afraid http://www.o2.co.uk/how-to-complain
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 9
8 REPLIES 8

MI5
  • 144170 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions
We can't help as we aren't CS, but I can tell you that you have to give 30 days notice on the airtime so the one month £14 charge is correct.
The other charge for early termination is an error we see time and again on here. It seems that O2's system can't cope with someone cancelling immediately, but you will have to keep onto CS or raise a complaint to get it resolved I'm afraid http://www.o2.co.uk/how-to-complain
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 9

jonsie
  • 93186 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

This does need sorting out now but unfortunately onl customer service can do this for you. There seems to be an awful trend that has developed when a handset has been paid off whereby they insist on sending a settlement bill. The system needs sorting out or whoever is dealing with cancellations should be trained into updating information on the system.

Message 3 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for your replies. Regarding the £14. I cancelled on the day I received the phone, didn't even open the SIM card and ordered via the internet so should be covered by the 14 day cooling off period for distance selling. Is that right?

Message 4 of 9

MI5
  • 144170 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions
No I'm afraid not as you chose to keep the device so you aren't cancelling under the DSR's

Currently using:
Message 5 of 9

jonsie
  • 93186 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

The airtime for 1 month is correct, it's the phone price you need to resolve.

Message 6 of 9

MI5
  • 144170 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions
For sure.....

Currently using:
Message 7 of 9

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 10143 Posts
  • 55 Topics
  • 3006 Solutions
I think the op has been caught out by the sim card not been registered on the network and in the device it was shipped with.

Not sure why the op didn't just buy it PAYG, as this would have saved all these issues
- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 8 of 9

MI5
  • 144170 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions
The OP3 wasn't available on PAYG unfortunately.

Currently using:
Message 9 of 9